Chapter 42

"I didn't mean  to do it mom, I'm so so sorry," I apologized over and over on our way to the hospital, as what mom had told me earlier

She squeezed her eyes shut opening it again as she pinches the bridge of her nose, "Sweetie, I know."

But her tone suggested otherwise. I know something isn't right.

My eyes flew open when I heard the door opening. I sit up from my seat finding Thayer and Mike with bags of groceries, I suppose.

"We bought you some clothes," Mike tells me handing me a paper bag.

"Thanks."

I open the paper bag which contains the clothes they bought me and then I place it down the bed.

Thayer takes a seat across from mine, crossing his arms.

We're at Thayer's house right now. A good drive away from the sanitarium. They told me that it was two towns away from where the sanitarium is, so we're somehow safe, unless the sanitarium releases the news of our escape over the country.

I hope not. But then again, hoping leads to disappointment. That's one thing I learned living in the sanitarium.

"So Scarlett," Thayer clears his throat, "what do you plan on doing next?"

"Plan?" I ask, a bit lost.

"Well, since you're finally out of here, don't you want to go visit your family?" he elaborated.

That didn't cross my mind.

I look over at Mike, he's busy in the kitchen cooking food. I remember the recent flashbacks occuring inside my mind. Am I curious? Yes.

But do I want to know the whole story? I don't know.

I'm doubting myself. I doubt that I would want to know. What if I'm a monster? That would mean that I really should be locked up in the sanitarium.

I'm scared. Frightened of myself.

"Earth to Scarlett?" Thayer waves his hands at my direction.

"I don't know."

He sighs at my response obviously aware that that would be my answer.

I heave out a breath too as I lean myself back on the couch. Apparently, Thayer didn't only have a nice home, he also have nice furnitures.

I think about my flashbacks. Are they all real? Or is it just my brain making all these things up?

I don't know. And again, not knowing bothers me.

I stand up from where I am sitting and just decided to join Mike in the kitchen. He's putting some ingredients into a pot and it already smells amazing.