Chapter 51

I slowly made my way outside the bedroom, my eyes felt heavy on my head

I slowly made my way outside the bedroom, my eyes felt heavy on my head. My strawberry blonde hair tangled, a strand dangling on my face. I looked outside the window, located at the far end of the hallway, the sun slightly peeking on the half-closed blinds. I stepped closer to the stairs on the left corner near where I was.

Downstairs, I can hear the sound of pans and plates and other kitchen utensils making a sound. I heard voices, mumbling something to each other to which I couldn't hear from here.

Beside the staircase is a small cabinet, with picture frames placed on top of it. I took a moment to look at the photos and realized that it was a picture of my parents, with me and another girl with the same features as mine. She must be Shannon.

I held the picture frame into my hands, there's a genuine smile plastered on my face. I looked normal, almost carefree. My then dark brown hair tied into a ponytail, while Shannon has her hair down. On her neck, I noticed a locket dangling on it. And it looked familiar.

It didn't took me long to realize that it was the same locket dangling on her neck in my dream back when I was still in the sanitarium.

"That picture was taken when you were eight," I heard a male voice spoke behind me, and when I turned to my side, it's my father, Lincoln.

I placed the picture down, feeling my cheeks flush at the thought of me intruding and being caught.

Lincoln cleared his throat, and then patted my shoulders before going into the direction of the door and leaving.

I decided to head to the kitchen shortly afterwards and saw Thayer and Mike already sitting on the kitchen table. They offered me a smile as they saw me enter, and I scanned the room for any signs of Georgia.

Fortunately for me, she wasn't here.

"You shouldn't be too hard on them," Mike told me as I held the mug of coffee inbetween my hands.

"They left me," I remarked.

"We don't know the whole story, Scar," Thayer interjected wiping his mouth with a napkin.

"She thought she was doing me a favor," I laughed bitterly pushing the croissant farther on the table, not really hungry or in the mood to eat.

"And maybe she was," Mike said this time. So now they're teaming up against me. I rolled my eyes at the two of them.

"Okay I get it," I said, "I deserve to be in that damned place. I get it. Then why did the two of you convinced me to get out? Escape?"

"Maybe because we saw that you got better, that you don't belong there anymore but the sanitarium won't let you out," Mike answered in a voice that sounded irritated. And I wouldn't blame him, because I'm feeling quite irritated with myself too at the moment.

Georgia appeared after a few seconds and I didn't say anything after that. I just glared at the two guys -- who's supposed to be my friend but now I'm not so sure -- in front of me as I stood up from my seat and left the room.