Chapter 45

The front door opens revealing Thayer with beads of sweat trickling down his forehead

"What happened?"

He closes the door behind him  locking it shut as he draws the curtains down before taking a seat next to me.

"I saw the police," he whispers panting.

"Really? where?" I ask panicking, "did they see you? Are they looking for us?"

He takes a large breath before responding, "No. They aren't after us yet, and they didn't see me either. But the moment I saw them I felt paranoid."

I don't know if I should be relieved by that. But for sure, sooner or later, the police would definitely find ways to track us down.

"Where's Mike?" Thayer asks me changing the topic.

"He's in the bathroom," I answer, "are we still safe?"

"Scar," Thayer breathea, "we never really got safe since we got involved in the sanitarium."

He's right. Being in that sanitarium is already dangerous, even if we're no longer there, it's still is
dangerous because we're being hunted by the police and sanitarium staffs. We're like fugitives.

Mental fugitives.

"So what do we do now?" I ask Thayer after a long moment of silence.

"I know we've already established this fact a billion times but I'm saying it again, we need to be careful."

✂------------------------------------------

"Please Gem, just trust me on this one okay?"

I look over at Mike who is currently talking to her sister on the phone.

"Just don't believe whatever the media says... I can't really tell you right now... just .. Gem please..."

I sit at the kitchen stool as I watch Mike looking all stressed out. I understand that it's all my fault why he's in this position right now. That's why every single time I see him frown -- and that is like every minute -- I feel guilty.

Dragging him into this mess is enough reason to feel guilty inside. But as what he would always tell me, it was his decision so I don't have to feel guilty. But dang it, I do. I really do.

I wouldn't have made it out of that damned sanitarium if it wasn't for him.

But sometimes I think, am I better off outside that place or should I just stay locked up in there until the end of time?

"Hey," I was pulled out of my thoughts when Mike takes a seat next to me.

"Hey," I say, "how is it?"

He looks at his phone before pushing it farther on the table, "My mom was brought to the hospital last week. Apparently, her blood pressure increased the moment she heard the news.

Gem wants to see me, she said she needs to know that what the media says aren't true."

I take his hand, just like what he always do when he's trying to comfort me, "I'm sorry. Literally sorry for everything I have caused you. And don't say that it is your decision so I don't have to feel guilty. Because no matter what, I still feel the guilt because I'm the reason for all of this and I'm sorry."

He shakes his head smiling at me, "Stop rambling okay? I don't want you to feel that way. This will all pass, this will all be over soon, okay? And again, I chose this. Whatever position I am in right now. And I know I did the right thing.

Helping you get out of that place, saving you from ruining the rest of your life is the least thing that I would ever regret. Saving you isn't something that I would ever regret doing."

He squeezes my hands tight and I don't know what's with that, but everytime he does that, it instantly calms me down.

It makes me stop stressing for a moment and just live at the present. It's like all my worries and fear are nothing. And I'm alway amazed by how Mike can always comfort me at the most stressful times. Even if he's the one who needs comforting.

"Thank you, again, for everything," I say, "I'm so grateful to have you as a friend. I never really had one, obviously."

He laughs ruffling my hair, "where's Thayer?"

"He's on the couch, sleeping," I laugh.

Thayer has been asleep since we finished dinner about two hours ago. Tired maybe. He's still paranoid about seeing the police earlier. Maybe he just wants to sleep it all off.

We both stand up from our seat as Mike asks, "what time is it?"

I look at the digital clock on the table next to the couch Thayer is sleeping at, "10:47pm."

A mischievous smile slowly creeps into Mike's features as he gently whispers into my ear, "Want to roam around the city tonight?"

✂------------------------------------------

Quick question: Who do you like the most with Scarlett? Thayer or Mike?

Check out:
Goodbye Emiline
Lost and Found
From Me To You

Coming Soon:
When In Manhattan