Hey There Delilah

LUKE'S POV: Hey There Delilah – Plain White Tees

"Hey there Delilah I've got so much left to say

If every simple song I wrote to you would take your breath away

I'd write it all, even more in love with me you'd fall, we'd have it all

Oh it's what you do to me, oh it's what you do to me"

Ashton went upstairs some ten minutes ago, and the second Mike and Calum start talking about going to a club, I'm tempted to join him. I know they're out to fuck and I already had my fun today, so I'd be up for a chill night in with video games and pizza. I head upstairs and am about to call for Ashton when I notice that Lou's door is open.

Right. Lou. I block out the images of her in the shower, and instead make my way to her room to ask if she wants to join. I don't think we've ever played GTA with her. I'm about to barge in when I come to a sudden standstill, taking in the scene in front of me. Ashton and Lou are hugging, fucking tight, and she's hiding her face in his shirt. That's fine though, there's nothing like a good hug to wrap up the day, but her shoulders are moving like she's sobbing and he's whispering words in her ear.

Immediately I go back to my room, my stomach churning. It's weird. It's really weird, the feeling of uselessness that washes over me just then. I'm good for a hook-up, but when it comes down to the important stuff, she goes to Ash, which. It's fine. It is. I've never wanted anything like that from her. But there's still this strange feeling in my gut, like a mix of helplessness and disappointment. Maybe I thought we'd reached a state of mutual trust. Or, I don't know. I don't know what I thought but I'm not liking this. Why is she crying anyway?

I lose track of time as I lie in my bed, trying not to think about how for some reason, Lou is out there feeling miserable and I can't really do anything about it. Then I receive a text from Mike saying that Calum, Ashton and him are going out. So she's alone.

I don't even realize what I'm doing before there's a guitar in my hands and I'm knocking at her door. She doesn't answer and I enter anyway. She's lying on her side on her bed, her eyes still red, and she frowns but doesn't say anything when she sees me come in.

So I pull a chair close to her bed and toy with the strings a little before settling on 'Hey There Delilah'. It's one of those songs that never fail to make me feel safe and loved, and I hope I can somewhat convey some of that to her.

"Hey there Delilah what's it like in New York City," I start, singing lowly, "I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do."

Her eyes widen, her lips parted as I continue playing the song and singing in smooth, calming tones.

"Listen to my voice it's my disguise, I'm by your side."

And it's true, because I suck at feelings and I can't tell her what she needs to hear. But I can sing to her, and if that can help... By the end of the song Lou is smiling and there's tears in her eyes.

"Thank you," she whispers. "I love that song so much."

She leans up and kisses me, and it's so unlike every kiss we've ever shared that I almost feel my heart drop out of my chest. Because it's not passionate or needy or leading up to anything, it's a short, sweet peck that says a simple thank you and I don't know what to do with myself.

I don't understand why I feel the need to hold her and make sure everything is okay right now. That's Ashton's area of expertise, I can't deal with that. My throat closes up and I send her a small smile.