Friends

LUKE'S POV: Friends – Ed Sheeran

"But then again if we're not friends someone else might love you too

But then again if we're not friends, there'd be nothing I could do

And that's why friends should sleep in another bed and friends shouldn't kiss me like you do

Well I know that there's a limit to everything but my friends won't love me like you"

I spend the last day of our break in bed with Mike, lying on my stomach and watching as he plays video games. Somewhere in the middle of the day, Ashton and Calum join us, and Ash hands me a piece of paper. I push down whatever I might have at his sight and instead take the paper, quickly realizing that it's the song Lou and I started writing when we were high.

He's almost finished it, and is basically asking me to read it through and approve, I realize. I grab a pen from the nightstand and do a few corrections in the lyrics as well as a small change in one of the chord progressions, and then hand the paper back to him with a thumbs-up. And just like that, all lingering awkwardness between the two of us dissipates, and we start talking about the fans' reaction towards our single might be.

That night, Lou asks us if we wanna go grab dinner outside for our last break day. We only briefly hesitate at the idea of possible paparazzi before Calum points out that being scooped up in the apartment, while being very good for his physical health, drove him crazy, and we decide that it's worth it. Not to mention I'm getting meat-withdrawal.

We end up choosing a hamburger place that also does vegan burgers and ask the slightly star-struck waitress for a discreet table at the back of the restaurant. The food is delicious and it's only several minutes into the meal that we start talking.

"So we're doing a joined interview tomorrow," Lou announces.

"What?" Mike wrinkles his nose.

"You took Lou's instructions about not doing anything but sleep a little too much to the letter," Calum grins. "Zoe sent us a text about it."

"Excuse me, I also played video games," Mike points out, while Lou reaches over and puts a hand on his arm.

"No, you did good Mike. I'm proud of you. Calum—" she turns to Calum, who grins.

"Yes, mom?"

"Oh my god will you stop," she laughs. "I'm not old enough to be your mom."

"You look it."

Lou gasps exaggeratedly, putting a hand to her heart.

"Excuse me? What are you saying here?"

Her poor acting skills make us all chuckle, and Calum shakes his head and singsongs 'nothing...'.

"Anyway, Calum, stop making fun of our kitten just because he got some well-deserved rest."

"Kitten?" Mike exclaims, looking outraged.

"Well yeah, why do you think we called the kitten Michael?"

"I'd like to point out once again that you were alone in naming the kitten," I speak up, but Lou ignores me as she gets into a heated debate with Mike about whether or not it's okay to bring up the kitten even though we don't have it anymore.

"It's not like she's dead!"

"But it hurts me! I miss her!"

"She's living a full-filling life!"