Chapter 1

Tessa walked down the hallways of her new college, struggling with all of the bags in her hands. She didn't recall her bags being this heavy before. She felt exhausted, the plane ride had been long and she hated to fly. She had never been on a plane before, either, and flying from New York to London had been tough. She had wished that her brother Nate had been able to come, but alas, he was too busy at NYU to come with her. Her phone then started to ring, and she groaned and fished it out from her pocket.

"Hello?" She said.

"Tessie!" Her mother's voice rang out. "Are you settled in yet?"

"Not quite. Can I call you back? I'm just getting to my dorm." Tessa replied.

"Sure. Love you." Her mother said.

"Love you too." Tessa then hung up the phone.

A pang went through her as she put away her phone. She was already missing her parents and Nate. They were back in New York, whereas Tessa had come all the way here to London, England to go to college. It had always been a dream of hers to come here for school. She had never left New York before, and this was her first time from home.

Tessa soon found her dorm room, and walked in. It was small, with two single beds and an even smaller bathroom. Her roommate wasn't in the room, but her stuff was. Tessa examined the amazing drawings hung up on wall, and she spotted a picture of a red headed girl with an older woman who was also a redhead.

Tessa set her bags on her bed, and began to unpack her things. She was a bit nervous to be starting college. This was her first year, since she had taken a year off after graduating high school. Tessa had just turned nineteen a few months ago. Just as she was finishing unpacking, she heard the door open. She turned around to see a short red headed girl with vibrant green eyes.

"You must be my new roommate." The girl smiled. "I'm Clary Fairchild."

"I'm Tessa Gray." Tessa smiled. "Are these your drawings? They're really good."

Clary beamed. "Yes, they are. Thank you. It's been something I've always loved to do."

Clary began to start unpacking the rest of her stuff, as Tessa placed all of her novels on her small desk. Reading was her favourite thing to do. Ever since she could remember she had always loved it. Tessa loved the way you could be transported into a completely different world and feel as if you were actually in the book.

"Do you want to go get food?" Clary asked her. "I'm starving."

"Yeah, me too." Tessa replied. "Let's go."

The two girls decided to go for sushi at this small restaurant that Clary said had the best food. They both were seated by an young Asian girl and Clary immediately started to converse with Tessa.

"So, where did you move here from?" She asked curiously.

"New York. I've always wanted to go to school here. What about you? You don't have a British accent." Tessa noticed.

"New York, too." Clary grinned. "I moved here last year, when I graduated. Did you take a year off?"

Tessa nodded. "I worked for a year. I didn't feel like diving right back into school after graduating."

Clary sighed. "I totally understand. I begged my mom to let me stay home for a year after graduation, so I could work on my art, but she made me go to school. Art's what I'm majoring in now. What are you majoring in?"

"Literature." Tessa replied. "I want to be a writer, someday."

"Oh, my friend's majoring in that too." She said.

"Is she nice?" Tessa replied.

"Oh no, it's a guy. He's -- well he's -- never mind, you'll see." Clary said.

"Are you dating anyone?" Tessa asked casually.

"Yeah, his name's Jace." Clary smiled. "What about you?"

"No, I'm not dating anyone." She replied. "I've actually never really liked anyone enough to date them."

"Do you have any siblings?" Clary asked her.

"An older brother. His name's Nate, he's back in New York." Tessa said. "How about you?"

"I have an older brother, too. His name is Jonathan, he goes to school in Australia." Clary explained. "He's a year older than me."

Tessa was about to say something, when Clary's phone buzzed. She checked it, and quickly typed a reply to the text message.

"Hey, do you want to come a party tonight?" She asked.

Tessa bit her lip, feeling unsure. Parties weren't really her scene, and plus, they had classes tomorrow morning. She guessed Clary could see her uncertainty because she said:

"You should come. You can meet all my friends, I think you'd like them."

Tessa sighed. "Okay, I'll come. Where is it?"

"It's at one of the frat houses. We can go together." Clary smiled slightly.

"Okay." Tessa gave her a smile.

They continued to talk and Tessa started to like Clary a lot. She was a simple girl, much like herself, and she wasn't a show off or one of those snobby girls. Tessa hated girls like that.

"What's your boyfriend like?" Tessa asked curiously.

A dreamy glint came to Clary's green eyes. "He's very charming, sometimes too much. He's also very confident, but not in a way that comes off as negative. His confidence is in a way that kind of pulls you in, I guess. He has a cousin, and he's the exact same way. Though, sometimes his confidence can come off as him being an asshole." She chuckled.

"Have you ever had a boyfriend before him?" Tessa inquired.

Clary shook her head. "No, I haven't. Have you?"

"No, I've never had a boyfriend. I've liked boys before and they've liked me, but I've never felt serious about any of them. Sometimes, I think I never will." She admitted.

"You will." Clary assured her. "I promise you that you'll find someone here in London. You just have to be patient. Someone will come."

Tessa couldn't help but wonder who that person might be.

* * *

Astrid Berges-Frisbey as Tessa Gray