Chapter 48

-Five Years Later-

"Welcome to London." The flight attendant's voice rang out on the P.A system.

Tessa couldn't help but smile to herself as she looked out of the window of the plane as it descended lower and lower. She remebered hearing those exact same words when she had come here for the first time, five years ago. It was crazy to think about how much had changed in those five years. This was also the first time she was coming back to London since she had left it five years ago. Tessa had been nineteen then and she was now twenty-four. She thought back on her life after she had made the drastic decision to move back to New York.

It had not been easy. Tessa had missed her friends a lot. The first month had been unbearable - Tessa was constantly thinking back about her life in England and wondering if she had made a mistake by coming back to New York. She had gotten into NYU and continued to major in Literature, although her class did not feel the same without Will in it. Tessa had missed Will the most out of everyone. During that first month, she had stayed up countless nights crying because she had missed him and wished she could hear his voice again. Tessa knew that she could have easily called him, but something always stopped her and she didn't know what that was. Tessa spoke to Isabelle and the other girls constantly at first, but as the months went by, it limited to about once a month. But Tessa hadn't minded, when they all spoke it felt like nothing had changed.

Every once in awhile, Will and Tessa would text each other, but never speaking on the phone. Thye would tell each other about what was new in their lives, but it never went any deeper than that. The last time they had texted had been three years ago. Tessa had not heard from Will since then. When she asked the girls about him, they always said he was good, and Tessa never asked for any details. She figured that he had most likely moved on from her by now and was datiing someone. She would admit that the thought did bother her, as she never moved on from Will, but in the end, she only wanted him to be happy. Tessa herself had been with one person, seriously, for about two years, but she had ended it, because she had realized she hadn't loved him. Not like the way she loved Will. Sometimes, Tessa thought that she would never love anyone the way she loved Will and the thought scared her. She wanted to be able to move on and live her life the way that she was sure Will had.

Tessa was snapped out of her trance, by the plane landing. Soon she was getting off of the plane and going to get her bags. She felt so much nostalgia as she looked around Heathrow airport. The last time she had been here, she had been saying goodbye to Will and to all of her friends. Even now, Tessa considered that as one of the hardest things she had ever done. She looked around for Isabelle and the other girls, as they were picking her up, and then finally she spotted Clary's fiery red hair. Tessa tried not to sprint towards them and once she reached them, she engulfed them tightly.

"We've missed you so much." Isabelle exclaimed loudly as they all pulled away,

The three girls looked pretty much the same, only a bit older. When Tessa looked at Cecily, she felt a pang go through her as she was reminded of Will. They looked so much alike.

"I've missed you guys, too. It's been way too long." Tessa replied, smiling brightly.

They all began to walk out of the airport, the four of them all chattering excitedly.

"How's your book coming along?" Clary looked at Tessa.

Tessa had gotten a job at a publishing company two years ago and was also writing a novel on the side. It was a romance novel, of course, and Tessa was basing most of it off of her and Will.

"It's actually going quite well." She replied. "I hope I'll be able to publish it one day."

"You will, you're an amazing writer." Cecily smiled at her as they all got into Isabelle's car.

As they drove to Isabelle's house, where Tessa would be staying. they all caught up with each other. Clary and Jace as well as Cecily and Gabriel were engaged, which Tessa already knew, and Isabelle said that she had a feeling that Simon would be popping the question soon. Isabelle had become a lawyer, Cecily, a teacher and Clary had become an artist. Her paintings had been in quite large art shows. Isabelle then drove Tessa past their old sorority house and parked outside for a moment. Tessa was hit by a flurry of memories, most of them consisting of Will.

"This feels like lifetimes ago." Tessa remarked as she stared out at the mansion.

"Tell me about it." Clary said. "Life was so easy back then."

The three other girls chuckled and agreed and then Isabelle began to drive again. They reached Isabelle's house soon and Tessa got settled in and met the girls back downstairs again. They all sat together in the living room and Tessa could not hold it in any longer.

"Where's Will at these days?" She heard herself blurt out.

The three girls exchanged a smirk at her question and she blushed slightly.

"He's in Paris with Jace, right now." Cecily frowned slightly. "I don't know if you'll see him while you're here. I don't think they come back for another two weeks."

Tessa tried not to look as disappointed as she felt. "Oh, that's ok."

"Oh my gosh." Isabelle suddenly said while staring down at Tessa's hand. "You're still wearing the ring he gave you."

Tessa blushed and automatically looked down at the ring. Even after all of this time, she never took it off and she wasn't sure why. Maybe it was because it made her feel close to Will even when she was thousands of miles away from him. Whatever it was, she had grown quite attached to it over the years, and was glad Will had told her to take it with her when she had left.

"You're still in love with him, aren't you?" Clary grinned at Tessa.

Tessa didn't even see the point of lying to them and sighed. "I always will be."

"He's single, you know. He hasn't been with anyone since you left." Cecily smirked while sipping her tea.

Tessa felt shocked. She had thought for sure that Will would have at least been with one person since she had left England. Tessa smiled to herself, and Isabelle laughed.

"Some things never change." She smirked.

Tessa chuckled. "I guess they don't."