Chapter 42

The weeks passed by quicker than Tessa thought they would, and the semester was ending soon. It was almost Christmas, and Tessa was planning to go home for a week or two for the holidays. She missed her family dearly and was dying to see them. Things with Will were better than she could have ever imagined. They got along perfectly and Will was no longer rude or distant from her. They spent most of their time together, although they did hang out with everyone else too. Their time alone usually consisted of laughing together, watching "The Office", debating books or making love. And Tessa wasn't complaining about any of it.

Tessa could see the subtle changes in Will that had happened since they had started dating. He seemed to smile and laugh more and he was slowly opening up to her more and more. If someone had told her that Will was capable of doing all of this three months ago, she would have laughed in their face. Tessa felt as if she were living in a dream because that's what it felt like when she was with Will. It felt like a dream - one that she never wanted to wake up from.

Currently it was Saturday, and Will and Tessa were driving in Will's car. He had told her that he was going to take her somewhere, but he refused to tell her where. They had been driving for at least two hours.

"Please just tell me where we're going, Will." Tessa begged. "You know that I hate surprises."

"Nope." He grinned while looking out into the road. "I want you to be surprised. It'll make it way better."

Tessa couldn't even guess where they were headed, as they had been driving for such a long time. On top of that, she did not know England well.

"Where do you think we're going?" Will asked her, amused.

"I actually have no idea." She replied and looked at him. "Will I like where we're going?"

He laughed, as if she just asked the stupidest question in the world. "Trust me, you'll love it, Tess."

Tessa only remained silent and looked out of the window, curiosity eating away at her. After about half an hour more, Will pulled over so they could get some food. As they sat down at their table, Will began to speak again.

"I re read 'Wuthering Heights'" He spoke causally.

Tessa brightened. "And now you love it as much as I do?"

Will chuckled, smirking. "You wish, but I will admit that I have a greater appreciation for it. Catherine irritates me, though. She should have just been with Heathcliff."

"I agree, but she had no choice but to marry Edgar. Heathcliff had nothing to his name and Edgar was inheriting Thrushcross Grange. He could guarantee her a good life." Tessa replied, taking a bite out of her pizza.

"Yes, but when Heathcliff came back after leaving for two years or for however long it was, he was wealthy. She could have left Edgar. It wasn't like he didn't know that she was in love with Heathcliff, anyway." Will didn't miss a beat.

Tessa sighed. "Yes, but what would everyone think of her if she left Edgar? That wasn't considered respectable back then."

"Oh please, there would be no one to judge her." Will said. "They all lived in basically complete isolation."

Tessa chuckled at his remark and said that she could not argue with that. After they finished eating, they began to drive again. As they drove, Tessa noticed that there were less and less houses and less people. After about another half an hour, Will pulled over to the side of the road and parked his car.

"Close your eyes." He told Tessa.

She wanted to argue, but kept silent and obeyed his command. Will then helped her get out of the car, and she felt his hands on her arm and back, guiding her along. They walked for about five minutes until Will let go of her.

"Open your eyes." His voice was soft.

Tessa eyes flicked open and she was presented with a vast green valley. It seemed to stretch on for miles, with pockets of trees sprinkled here and there and large rocks laying about the valley. It was the most beautiful sight Tessa had ever seen, but there was also sense of familiarity to it. It felt like she had been here before, but that wasn't possible. And then it hit her, and she gasped loudly, eyes widening.

"This - this is the moors. From 'Wuthering Heights'" She spoke, absolutely dumbstruck.

Will chuckled from beside her. "I knew you would recognize it."

Tessa looked at him. She was absolutely touched that Will had driven all this way just to take her here. She had never loved him as much as she did in this moment.

"Do you like it?" Will asked her, smiling.

Tessa looked back the magnificent view right before her. "I - I love it. Thank you for bringing me here, Will. This means so much to me."

When he didn't say anything, she looked over at him to see that had suddenly produced a small little box from his pocket. Tessa froze as she saw that it was a ring box.

Will began to chuckle. "Don't worry, I'm not proposing to you. I was going to wait until Christmas to give this you, but I decided to give it to you now. It seemed like a fitting place to give it to you."

Tessa slowly took the small box from Will and opened it. She gasped quietly when she saw its contents. Inside was a ring, diamonds completely surrounding the band and a small diamond lay on the centre. It was beautiful.

"Oh, Will." She breathed, stunned. "This is beautiful. I - I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything." He sounded amused. "I'm just glad you like it."

Tessa looked up at him, softly. "I love it. So much. No one has ever given me anything so special in my life. Thank you."

Inside of saying anything, Will only leaned in and kissed her gently and Tessa returned it. They stood there like that for a long time, in each other's embrace, in front of the moors that we they both had read so much about.