Chapter 15

"Saturday night was fun." Jem smiled.

Tessa returned it. "It was. We have to do that again sometime."

They were walking towards their Literature class Monday morning. Tessa had spent her Sunday doing homework, and trying not to think of Will. She hadn't seen him since Saturday, and was hoping he didn't come to class today. The feeling of him holding her hand kept coming back to her as much as she tried to push it away. Her and Jem walked into class, and to her surprise and dismay, Will was already sitting in his seat. Tessa kept her eyes down as she took her seat beside him, and remained silent. Jem leaned over to her.

"Are you okay? You look a little sick." He frowned.

She faked a smile. "Yeah, I'm fine."

Class started a few seconds later, and Tessa tried to focus on the lesson. When it was over, and they had time to work, she immediately started writing, trying to avoid talking to Will. Surprisingly, Will did not try to speak to her. She snuck a glance at him from the corner of her eye, to see that he was writing something on a piece of paper. She also noticed that he had taken off the bandages on his hands. The cut on his forehead had healed, too.

"Your forehead looks better." Tessa found herself saying.

Will looked over at her, nodded, and went back to his work. She felt confused with his behaviour.

"Why aren't you talking?" She asked.

"There's nothing to say." Will replied simply.

"Have I done something?" She questioned.

"Why? Do you think you have?" He echoed, looking at her.

"No." Tessa said. "I don't think so."

"Then I guess you haven't." He said.

She paused for a second, feeling confused. "What? I'm confused."

"It has nothing to do with you, Tessa." Will sounded annoyed. "Not everything revolves around you."

Tessa grinned, and mimicked him. "But you have to admit most things do."

The corner of his lips twitched in amusement, and Tessa felt a bit victorious.

"Funny." He said, amused.

"I know." Tessa chuckled.

They were silent for a few minutes, and Tessa looked at him again.

"What's bothering you?" She asked curiously.

"Don't worry about it." Will mumbled.

Tessa sighed, exasperated. "You shouldn't bottle things up, you know."

"Who says I bottle them up?" He spoke annoyed.

She shot him a look. "You do, Will, and it's bad."

"Everyone has things they don't talk about. I just have more than others." Will replied.

To that, Tessa could not find a response. She looked at him, hard, as if she could uncover what he was hiding just by looking at him. Will, she knew, was filled with secrets and mysteries and she was determined to figure them out. Something about him was so alluring and enticing. During these past few days, Tessa had felt herself thinking of him differently. A way that she never thought she could. She was sure that she had feelings for him, but didn't know to what extent.

She looked over at him again, and sighed to herself. She knew that Will would never return her feelings - considering that he didn't believe in love. She also knew that she was not his type. Will was into girls like Tatiana who threw themselves at him, and no matter how much Tessa liked him, there was no way she would stoop down to being that desperate.

"Do you want to go out for dinner tonight?" Will asked, snapping her from her trance.

Tessa felt surprised. "Just you and me?"

He smirked. "No, with everyone else, Clary asked me to ask you. But you and I can if you really want to."

She blushed slightly, and rolled her eyes. "Tell Clary I'll come."

"Shame. I was looking forward to that dinner." Will smirked at her.

"I'm dating someone." Tessa chuckled.

"You like me better." He winked.

"No, I don't." She defended.

"Then why aren't you talking to him?" Will questioned, smirking.

Tessa almost said something, but then closed her mouth, having no response. He was right, why wasn't she talking to Jem who was her boyfriend? Maybe she did like Will better. The thought scared her.

"See? Told you." He said, grinning.

She only turned away from him, and began to work again.

"Aww, don't be embarrassed. I've always known you like me better." Will teased.

"I do not." Tessa defended.

"You love me." He continued, smirking. "Don't worry, you don't have to admit it. I already know."

"You're such an idiot." She rolled her eyes, a bit amused. "I thought I annoyed you, anyways."

"You used to." Will sounded amused. "Not that much anymore."

"I'm flattered." Tessa spoke sarcastically.

"You should be." He replied seriously.

Despite herself, she chuckled and he grinned at her. They stared at each other for a few seconds, and then Tessa quickly snapped of out of it. God, this is bad, she thought to herself. There was no way she could have feelings for Will. It had disaster written all over it. The last thing she wanted was to have her heart broken by him, because she knew it would happen. She saw how he used girls and then tossed them to the side. She wouldn't let that happen to her.

"Can I ask you something?" Tessa started.

"You just did." Will replied.

She shot him a tired look, and then continued. "Why do you use girls like that?"

***

"Why do you use girls like that?"

The question rang about in Will's mind, the words echoing over and over. How could he tell her that it was a distraction from what pained him everyday? He couldn't. As much as he trusted her, that was something he told nobody about.

Will shrugged carelessly. "I don't know. It's not like I beg them to. They come willingly."

"It's gross. How do you sleep with that many different girls?" Tessa wrinkled her nose in disgust.

He shrugged again. "I don't really think about it. It's just one night, and then it's over."

She only frowned at him, and Will quickly looked away from her. He hated the way she seemed to be able to read him - or at least he thought she could. He didn't like letting anyone in, and he knew that Tessa was trying. No, he thought to himself, I won't let her in. But Will knew how he truly felt about her, how a part of him wanted her in ways he had never wanted someone before.

He was falling into a trap that he had promised himself he would never fall into.