Chapter 39

After sitting there at the dock for almost an hour, Tessa drove Will back to her sorority house to meet everyone else. She and Will were mostly silent on the way home - Will shooting her smirk after smirk to which her cheeks would reddened. Tessa was still quite in shock with what had just happened. How could someone as beautiful as Will be in love with her? It didn't sound real. And he would try to change for her? He was really willing to do all of that for her? It all sounded like something Tessa would only dream about.

They reached the mansion after about twenty minutes and Tessa couldn't help but smile when Cecily threw herself at Will the moment he walked in the door. She clung to him tightly, and Will begrudgingly hugged her back.

"Where have you been?" Cecily demanded, pulling away from her brother. "We've all been worried sick! Don't ever do that again, do you hear me, William?"

Will rolled his eyes, but Tessa didn't miss the bit of amusement that were in them. "I'll try not to, Cecy."

Cecily then was hugging Tessa, and she surprisingly returned it.

"Thank you for finding him, Tessa." Her voice was muffled in Tessa's brown hair.

Cecily pulled away from her and Tessa shot her a smile.

"Why did you do that, Will?" Isabelle started.

"It isn't important." He murmured, looking at Tessa.

"Why don't we all go for lunch?" Tessa suggested quickly.

She could see that Cecily was about to start on Will and so she quickly changed the subject. Will shot her a grateful look.

"Yeah, that sounds good." Clary agreed.

It was soon decided that they were all going to an Italian restaurant for lunch. Will followed Tessa outside and into her car, and she noticed that no one else decided to ride with them. Tessa suppressed a smile, they probably wanted to give Will and Tessa their own time together.

"Let me drive." Will grinned at her.

She laughed. "There's no way I'm letting you drive my car. You're such a reckless driver."

"Please, Tess, let me drive. You drive too slow." He smirked at her teasingly.

Tessa scoffed as she begrudgingly threw him her keys. "I am not a slow driver."

"You are." He chuckled.

They both got into Tessa's car and she huffed. She hated the way she could never say no to Will. Whatever he wanted from her, he got. He began to drive and Tessa smiled when she noticed that he wasn't driving the way he usually did. Crazily.

"Our first kiss was in a car." Will spoke suddenly, smirking.

"You remember that?" Tessa blushed.

He chuckled. "Of course I do. We had just come from dinner and you were dating Jem at that time."

Tessa recalled that moment. It felt like that had been years ago. How had she lived her life without knowing Will?

"I was horrible to Jem." Tessa sighed, guiltily.

"No, you weren't." Will began. "You just didn't want him as much as you thought did. You wanted someone better." He smirked.

She rolled her eyes, playfully. "You are so cocky. You seduced me that night." Thinking of the first time they slept together.

He scoffed. "No, I didn't. You wanted it as much as I did. I even asked you if you wanted to stop and you said no."

Tessa blushed. "You're very persuasive."

"That and you just can't resist me." Will smirked, looking sideways at her. "Don't worry, Tess, I can't resist you either."

Tessa rolled her eyes again but his words sent a rush of warmth through her body. Suddenly, his hand was resting on her thigh and she swallowed the gasp that rose up in her throat.

"Don't." She told him. "Not here."

Will chuckled but obeyed her command. "If not here, then when?"

Tessa laughed and playfully hit him on the arm. He faked being in pain.

"Don't you know that you shouldn't abuse the person who's driving your car?" Will grinned. "I could have accidentally crashed it."

"That wouldn't have been my fault. You're just a bad driver." She accused, playfully.

"I am a great driver!" He exclaimed. "I'll have you know that I passed my driving test on my first try."

Tessa laughed. "I find that very hard to believe."

Will only began to mutter under his breath which made Tessa smile in amusement. He was so cute sometimes and it made her fall even more in love with him. She observed the way his eyes were focused intently on the road and the way she could tell that his thoughts were running around in his mind. He was art. Soon, they pulled into the restaurant and they got out of Tessa's car and walked inside. Everyone was already there and Tessa and Will took their seats beside each other.

"What took you two so long?" Jace asked.

"Tessa wouldn't stop insulting my driving so I had to make sure I drove as slow as her so she would be pleased." Will smirked as Tessa hit his arm.

"She's right, Will, you are a pretty terrible driver." Cecily chuckled.

"Betrayed by my own sister." He muttered annoyedly which caused everyone to laugh.

All through lunch, Will spoke and Tessa had never seen him smile so much. It was like he had a flipped a switch and she could barely see the flecks of the dark and rude person he was. She liked him when he was like this - he looked alive. He looked like himself and not the person he tried to portray himself to be. At one point, Tessa found herself just looking at Will and smiling as he told a story about Jace when he was younger. She felt so happy to have him in her life, even when he had been horrible to her. When Will noticed her looking at him, after he was finished telling the story, she quickly looked away.

"What is it?" He asked, amused.

"Nothing, it's just nice seeing you this way. You seem happy." Tessa told him.

Will reached down and took her hand. "I am happy. Because of you."

Tessa only smiled and squeezed his hand. Could life get any more perfect?