Chapter 30

The day after the party went by quickly, since it was Sunday, and Tessa spent most of it reading in her room. She was still very upset about Will, but Sebastian had made her feel a bit better at the party. They had exchanged numbers and Tessa hoped that she would see him again. She didn't think she would ever be able to catch feelings for him, but she quite enjoyed his company. Monday came much too quickly for Tessa's liking and before she knew it, she was walking into Literature. She had been dreading it all weekend because she knew she would have to face Will, and that was the last thing she wanted to do.

Tessa went and took her seat next to Jem, who smiled at her, and class started soon after that. Twenty minutes passed, and Will still hadn't shown up which made Tessa feel relieved. He wasn't going to come. The second that thought passed her mind, Will walked into the room, of course, wearing all black. He had dark circles under his eyes and he looked like he hadn't slept all night. Even still, he was still the most breathtaking person Tessa had ever seen. She averted her eyes away from him as he took his seat to her left. She tried to ignore the awkward tension that existed between them but with every second that passed, it became more and more unbearable. When the professor ended his lesson and it was time to work, Tessa was just waiting for Will to say something.

"Quite the party that was on Saturday." He drawled lazily.

He's trying to get a reaction out of you, Tessa thought to herself. She decided that she would act like she was unbothered by his actions at the party.

"Yeah, it was fun." She tried to give him her most meaningful smile.

If Will was surprised, he didn't show it. He only stared at her through his magnificent blue eyes that Tessa loved so much. She decided to continue when he didn't say anything.

"Sebastian was really nice. He said he knew you. How come you never introduced him to me before?" Tessa asked casually.

She could see annoyance and jealousy flash through Will's eyes and she resisted the urge to smirk.

"Because I have better things to do than set you up with my friends." He rolled his eyes.

"Ah, well, good thing Izzy introduced me to him then. He's so cute." Tessa smiled to herself as she looked down at her notes.

"I know what you're doing, Tess." Will narrowed his eyes at her. "You're not as smart as you think."

"And what am I doing?" She asked simply.

"Trying to make me jealous." He replied, glaring at her.

"And why would that make you jealous? It's clear that you don't actually love me." The words were out of Tessa's mouth before she could stop them.

Will's glare was then gone, and instead, a surprised expression painted his face. "You don't believe that I love you?"

Tessa actually laughed out loud. "Are you actually serious right now? You had another girl sitting on your lap at the party. Of course I don't believe that you love me. It was just a big lie to get me to sleep with you again - and that's sick, Will. That's really sick."

For once, he looked as if he didn't know what to say. Shock was written all over his perfect face.

"Tessa," He started "I didn't - I -"

"Just save it, Will. We both know the truth. I don't want to be lied to again." She replied, tiredly.

Will only stared at her still in shock, and then suddenly all of his features hardened and the shock disappeared.

"You're right." He said, surprising Tessa and she didn't know why. "I don't love you. I said it in the heat of the moment."

Tessa had no idea what to say, so instead, she told him the biggest lie of her life. With all of the venom and anger she could muster, she said:

"I don't love you, either. I could never love someone like you."

* * *

"I don't love you, either. I could never love someone like you."

Will felt his heart drop at Tessa's words and he hoped that she couldn't see the heartbreak written all over his face. He had never heard her speak with so much venom and that was how he knew she was speaking the truth. What did he expect? That someone could actually love him? And after what he did to her at the party, and everything he had done to her since they had met, he should have been expecting this. Her words seemed to pierce his heart and Will did his best to recover quickly.

"And what am I like?" He spoke finally.

"Someone who doesn't care about anyone except for himself." Tessa glared at him, the same venom in her voice.

But I care about you.

"You're right, I suppose." Will spoke lazily. "I don't care about anyone."

Tessa only rolled her eyes and began to work. Will looked down at his phone, but all he could focus on was Tessa's words.

I don't love you, either. I could never love someone like you.

Tessa didn't love him. Fuck, how had he gone from being so happy to this? Only two days ago, he had been walking on air because she had loved him, and now he was crushed. This was he had expected though - he was a hard person to love and he couldn't expect Tessa to. She deserved so much more than him. She deserved someone like Sebastian or Jem - someone who would treat her right and not always let her down. Will couldn't change for her, not even if he tried as hard as he could. He was fucked up and that was the way he would always be. I would ruin her, Will thought. It's best that I leave her alone before I start to destroy her.

But as Will looked over at Tessa who seemed lost in thought, he wondered if he already had.