Chapter 14

Tessa sat on her bed late that night, reading a book. She and Jem had gone for dinner several hours ago, and she had managed to clear Will from her mind. But she couldn't help but feel that she was somehow cheating on Jem by sort of liking Will. She also couldn't clear what Will had said to her from her mind. Had he been right? Would she get bored of Jem? She hoped not, but she knew that she could see it happening.

Tessa was about to flip the next page of her book, when she heard a knock on her door. She checked the time, 1:07am. Who would be knocking this late at night? She got up and opened the door, to see Isabelle standing there in her pyjamas. She looked a bit distressed.

"Izzy, what is it?" Tessa asked curiously.

"We have a problem." Isabelle replied.

Before Tessa could reply, Isabelle grabbed her hand and hurriedly lead her down the stairs. The pair were quiet since everyone else was sleeping. Isabelle lead Tessa past the living room and the kitchen, and into the backyard. And there, standing in the middle of the yard, stood Will. His white t-shirt had tears in it, and it was dirty. There was blood smeared across his right cheek and a cut on his forehead. His knuckles were very bloody, and there was also a few blood marks on his t-shirt that Tessa was just seeing. Her stomach dropped at the sight of him.

"He showed up at the door. I didn't know what to do with him." Isabelle sighed. "We can't tell Cecily about this. She'll worry too much about him."

"Aw, it's Tessie!" Will exclaimed. "My favourite person!"

He then walked towards her, and Tessa noticed that he was not steady on feet. When he was in arms length of her, she reached out and grabbed his face. She looked at his pupils which were huge, and her suspicions were confirmed.

"You're high." She spoke with disappointment.

"Nooo." Will said, shaking his head. "I can't be. We're standing on the ground."

"And you got into a fight. Again." Isabelle glared at him.

"Yeah." Will replied happily. "I am quite pleased with myself with how badly I beat that guy up."

Tessa groaned. "What are we going to do with him?"

"I'll take him to my room and clean him up." Isabelle sighed.

"No, I want to go with Tessa!" Will shouted, grabbing her hand.

"Shhh!" Tessa whisper-shouted. "Fine, you can come with me."

It took about ten minutes to get Will inside, up the stairs, and into Tessa's room. Once Isabelle had left Tessa's room, she closed the door and turned to Will who was talking to himself.

"Why did you do this, Will?" Tessa demanded.

"Because you won't love me, Tessa. It takes the pain away." He said.

She rolled her his eyes. "You know what? Fine don't tell me. Get the in shower."

"Are you coming too?" Will grinned widely.

"No." Tessa replied.

"Then I'm not going to shower." He pouted like a five year old boy.

Having none of it, Tessa grabbed him by the collar and yanked his face to hers.

"You're getting in the shower. Now." She spoke through gritted teeth.