Chapter 26

Holy shit, he was baked.

Not that Will hadn't been high before, but he hadn't been this high in a long time. After Tessa had told him she didn't want to talk him, he had gone straight to the backyard and smoked a joint. He hadn't planned on getting high tonight, but he needed to drown his unhappiness. He hated the way she had such a strong hold on him. Her words had killed him and he had felt crushed, which he thought was stupid because all she said was that she did not want to talk to him. Nevertheless, it bothered the shit out of him.

But now Will was feeling out of this world. He could almost feel the energy flowing through his veins, and Tessa's words were now a minor inconvenience. He felt himself moving into the mansion, in search of her. Though, he didn't know why. Will found all of them in the living room, huddled in a circle. He sidled up to Jace, and looked at Tessa. She was holding a red cup in her hand. God, she is so fucking beautiful, Will thought hazily.

"Ugh, God, you reek of pot." Isabelle scrunched her face up in disgust.

Jace smirked at Will. "He's high as a kite."

Will smirked. "That I am.

"Really, Will? Did you really need to get high?" Cecily glared at him.

"Yes, I did, dear sister. You should try it sometime." Will continued smirked.

He looked back over at Tessa, who was already looking at him, concern in her eyes. Will knew that she didn't like it when he got high, and it gave him satisfaction that it was bothering her.

He smirked wider. "I think I'm going to go smoke some more."

Will then started to walk away from them, and just before he was about to walk outside again, he heard a voice call his name. He turned around, to see Tessa standing there, frowning.

"Yes, Tess?" Will then chuckled. "That rhymed."

"Don't smoke more." She said, emotionless.

"Oh, so now you can talk to me?" He moved so they were face to face, stumbling a bit. "If I recall correctly, you said you didn't want to talk to me."

Tessa bit her lip, and Will found himself wanting to bite it himself.

"Just don't smoke more, okay?" Tessa said again.

Will laughed. "Who are you, my mother? Why do you even care? You didn't give a shit about me an hour ago."

"Yeah and I wonder why that was." She glared at him. "You practically threw me out last night!"

"I did that for your own good." He spoke quietly. "And besides why would you want me to fuck you again?"

Tessa flinched at his language. "Still, the way you did it was rude."

"Well, I'm a rude person and if you don't like it then don't stick around." Will retorted.

"Do you think I want to? Do you think I like how hot and cold you are?" She raised her voice, glaring fiercely.

"Then why do you? I don't beg you."

"Because there's something about you that's so- so, trapping." Tessa struggled for the right word.

"Trapping? Come on, Tess, you can think of something better than that." He smirked.

She groaned. "This isn't funny. Just don't smoke more, okay?"

She turned to leave but Will caught her arm, spinning her around so their faces were only inches apart.

"First, tell me why you're so concerned about me." Will's voice was low and smooth.

"Because were friends and that's what friends do." Tessa told him.

His hand was still on her arm, and touching her was driving him crazy. It was as if someone was lighting him on fire when they touched. He heard her name always - especially when he was trying sleep. She was always on his mind, and it drove him crazy. Tessa drove him crazy in a way he had never experienced before.

"Why do you get high? What's the real reason?" She asked lightly.

"Because I knew it would get your attention." The words were out of his mouth before he could stop them.

Surprise clouded her stormy grey eyes.

"I mean," Will began, trying to save himself. "I knew it would piss you off."

Tessa rolled her eyes, and then looked down at where Will still held her arm.

"You shouldn't touch me." She spoke in a quiet voice.

"Why is that?" He questioned.

She swallowed hard. "Because nothing good ever happens when you do."

The best things happen when I touch you.

"That's a lie and we both know it." Will replied swiftly.

Tessa detached his hand from her arm, and it slumped to his side. His skin ached from where he had touched her and he was dying to touch her again. Just then, a girl walked by and Will recognized her to be Tatiana, and he tried not to cringe.

"Will!" She exclaimed, grinning. "Meet up with me later."

Tatiana then winked and walked away. Will heard Tessa scoff and start to walk away, and again he caught her by the arm.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"Leaving. It seems like you're going to be quite busy now." Tessa's voice was doused with disgust.

"Oh come on, Tess, you know I don't want her." Will replied.

"Then who do you want?" She asked.

Tell her, Will, the voice in his head told him. Now's your chance. He tried to make the words leave his mouth, but they wouldn't come. And even if he did tell her, what good would that do? Tessa deserved better than him.

"No one." He spoke finally. "I don't want anyone."

"I can't say I'm surprised." Tessa murmured, seeming to hide something.

They both stood there awkwardly, then. All Will wanted to do was to lean forward and kiss the living daylights of her, but he remained rooted to the floor.

"I should go." She said. "Izzy and the girls are probably looking for me."

And before he could say anything, Tessa was gone. Will sighed and ran a hand through his hair, what was he going to do?