Chapter 46

I should go tell them, Tessa thought to herself, I have to go tell them.

It had been five days since the party, and Tessa had not left her room once. She missed all of her classes for five days and she didn't even leave her room to eat. Isabelle and the rest of the girls had been bringing her meals, which she had barely ate, but she was grateful that they cared enough about her to make sure that she was eating. She hadn't seen or spoken to Will since the party, and she had shut her phone off so she couldn't recieve his calls or messages. Tessa was still broken, but she felt a tiny bit better than she had on that first horrible night. She realized, though, that she had trouble sleeping at night without Will beside her.

Currently, she was pacing back and forth in her bedroom, forcing herself to go downstairs and tell them her news. All of them, including Will, were all hanging out downstairs she knew and she needed to go tell them. Time was ticking down, and the sooner they knew, the better. Without thinking, Tessa walked out of her room, went down the stairs and into the living room. Everyone was shocked to see her, and she could not help but look at Will. He looked horrible. There were dark circles under his eyes and he looked like he hadn't slept in days. Tessa knew that she looked the same. He looked shocked to see her and started to say something, but Cecily shot him a look that made him close his mouth. Tessa couldn't help but feel the rush of love that overcame her every time she looked at him.

"Tessa, I'm glad you're here." Isabelle smiled. "Come sit with us."

Tessa shook her head and swallowed hard. "I actually have to tell you all something."

They all looked at her, expectantly, and Tessa took a deep breath and said:

"I'm moving back to New York."

Everyone's eyes widened. Isabelle was looking at her in horror, Clary, with shock and Cecily with a mixture of both. The guys all looked surprised and Tessa forced herself to look at Will and then wished she hadn't. His blue eyes were clouded with complete horror and he looked lost and Tessa knew that that expression he had on his face would haunt her for the rest of her life. She felt guilt consume her.

"What?" Isabelle exclaimed. "Why?"

"I know that it's a really big decision, but I need to do this. I - I think coming here was a mistake, even though I'll miss you all so terribly." Tessa felt tears in her eyes. "I just really need to go home."

"But - but what about school?" Cecily asked, heartbroken.

"I can transfer somewhere else." Tessa replied. "It won't be that hard."

"When are you going to leave?" Clary asked, sadly.

Tessa breathed out. "In a week."

"A week?!" Isabelle exclaimed. "That's hardly any time at all."

"It's when I'm going home for the holidays anyways, so I just thought it would make sense." Tessa murmured.

The three girls then got up and hugged Tessa tightly, and she began to cry a bit. She really did not want to leave them, but she needed to go home. She needed to be away from Will and from everything that had happened here. Tessa wasn't one to quit, but she knew that this was what she needed for her mental health. If she stayed here, she did not know what would happen to her. After a few more minutes. everyone left to leave Tessa and Will alone. Once they were gone, Tessa and Will automatically began to walk up to her bedroom. Tessa closed the door behind them and then they both stood there in silence.

"Are you really going to leave?" Will's voice was hoarse.

Tessa tried to swallow back her tears. "I have to, Will. I need this."

She looked up at him to see that he was already looking at her, seeming more heartbroken than he had at the party.

"I love you, Tessa." Will started. "And I know you won't believe it but I swear on my life that it's true. I cheated on you with Tatiana because, as stupid as it sounds, I was afraid. I was afraid that you were going to leave me and I would be left in pieces, so I tried to push you away. That was the worst decision I ever made and I am so so sorry. You deserve so much better than that and I failed you. I am so sorry that I failed you, Tessa. I love you more than a person should be able to love another. Please believe me, please, Tess. I will do anything for you to believe me."

By this point Will had tears in his eyes and Tessa could see the hurt and guilt in his blue eyes and she realized that she did believe him. But that didn't matter now. They both needed to be apart. They both needed time to grow up and change.

"I believe you, Will." Tessa replied lightly.

"Then don't go. Don't leave me, Tess." Will begged her, cupping her face. "Please don't leave me. I can't survive without you, I won't make it. What - what even am I without you? I have nothing without you, Tessa. Nothing. Please stay and I swear I'll change. I swear I'll be different and that I'll make you the happiest person alive. Please stay, please, I'll do anything, just don't leave me."

Tears were leaking out of Will's eyes by then, and Tessa began to cry herself. She felt so guilty to be leaving him, but she had no choice. It was the right thing to do, she knew, and Will would understand when she was gone.

"I have to do this, Will." Tessa whispered through tears. "We both need this. You and I -we're toxic for each other right now. We need time apart."

She then slid the ring he gave her off of her finger, painfully, and handed it to him. She knew that it would be too painful for her to keep it. "Take it."

"No, please don't do this, Tessa." Will begged.

"Please, just take it, Will." She whispered, and he begrugdingly did.

Tessa sank down on to the bed, and Will sat on the ground, holding her. She did the same back to him and held him as he cried and begged her not to go, feeling infintely heartbroken and guilty. Tessa sat there for hours in Will's embrace and wondered how she was going to be able to survive without him.