Chapter 11

Friday night came quickly, and before Tessa knew it, she was helping all of the other girls set up for the party. She had been dreading it all week, but had made sure not to complain about it. This what she had signed up for so she couldn't complain. Maybe it wouldn't be as bad as she thought.

"Have we got everything?" Clary asked.

A girl named Jessamine nodded. "I think so. We should all go get changed."

Isabelle then sidled up to Tessa. "Come with me."

Tessa followed Isabelle upstairs, and into her lavish room. Tessa took a seat on her bed, while Isabelle walked into her closet and started throwing clothes around her room. A few minutes later, she returned with a red dress and red heels.

"Wear this." Isabelle instructed.

"I don't know, Izzy, I don't think I'll be able to pull this off." Tessa frowned.

"Yes you will. You're beautiful, Tessa. Now go out it on." Isabelle said.

Tessa only sighed and went to Isabelle's bathroom and got changed. The dress was very tight and she felt a bit uncomfortable, but thankfully the heels weren't too high. When she walked out of the bathroom, Isabelle squealed.

"You look hot!" She grinned.

Isabelle then did her hair and makeup, and when Tessa looked in the mirror she couldn't recognize herself. She looked amazing. Isabelle then got ready, and soon Tessa could hear the music blaring from down the stairs. The party had started. Isabelle was wearing a short black dress, and she looked gorgeous. They both walked downstairs together, and just as they reached the floor, Jace, Gabriel, Simon, and Will walked in. Will's eyes found Tessa, and they widened. They scanned her body up and down slowly, and she blushed.

"Hey." Isabelle greeted them.

"Hey, where's Clary?" Jace asked.

"Over there with Cecily. Let's go." Isabelle replied.

They all pushed through the crowds of people, towards the two other girls. Will sidled up next to Tessa.

"You look hot. Really hot." He told her. "I didn't even think it was you for a second."

"Well thanks." She scowled.

Will chuckled, smirking. "I meant it as a good thing."

Tessa eyed him. He looked gorgeous, too, but he always did. It wasn't fair. They all reached Clary and Cecily, and everyone began to talk. A few minutes later, Tessa heard someone call her name. She turned around to see Jem standing behind her. She had invited him, but hadn't thought he would come. She smiled and hugged him.

"I didn't think you would come." She smiled, while pulling away from him.

"I thought I would." He smiled at her.

Tessa smiled again, took Jem's hand, and walked back to her friends. Everyone was smiling at the two, except for Will who was staring at Tessa with no emotion.

"You guys remember Jem." She started.

They all greeted him, and he immediately started talking to Gabriel. Tessa had noticed that Jem was very good at making friends. Will was still looking at her with that strange expression, though she was trying to ignore him. She wasn't quite sure what her and Jem were, but was happy that he hadn't taken his hand way when she had reached to hold it. Clary and the rest of the girls were smirking and giggling at her like a bunch of preteen girls, making Tessa laugh.

After a few minutes, she left to go get drinks. She walked into the kitchen where there were fewer people, and started to grab coolers from the huge fridge. When she closed the fridge, Will was standing there.

"God, you've got to stop sneaking up on me." Tessa said, startled.

"Noted." He spoke flatly. He then looked down at the coolers. "I thought you didn't drink."

She shrugged. "There's a first time for everything."

"I didn't know you were going to invite your boyfriend." There was an annoyed edge to his tone.

"He's not my boyfriend. Not yet, anyway." Tessa replied.

"I see." Will spoke in a low voice.

"Did you want something? Is that why you followed me?" She asked sincerely.

Will stared at her deeply for a second, and then snapped out of it. "No, I most definitely do not need anything from you."

Tessa was taken aback. "What does that mean?"

"Exactly what I said." He said, and then turned on his heel and walked away.

She watched him leave and stared for a moment. What's wrong with him? Tessa wondered as she grabbed more of the coolers. She walked back to living room where everyone else had settled, and set all the cans down on the coffee table. Will was sitting with everyone else too, and Tessa took a seat in between Isabelle and Jem, across from Will. Everyone began to talk, though Will only continued to stare at Tessa with that foreign look.

"You look really nice." Jem suddenly said to her.

Tessa blushed and smiled. "Thank you. I'm really glad you came tonight."

"I am, too. I thought it would boring but this it's actually pretty fun. Probably only because you're here." He grinned.

She chuckled, and he only smiled. Then, and she wasn't sure how it happened, they were kissing. They kissed for about ten seconds, and then pulled away. Tessa blushed bright red, as she saw that everyone was now looking at them. Everyone was smirking at them, except for Will, who was staring at Tessa, shocked. Then, he stood up and walked away, not saying a word to anyone. Tessa looked back at Jem.

"You kissed me." She spoke dumbly.

"No, you kissed me." He grinned.

Tessa only laughed, and hit him that arm. The hours passed quickly, and Jem left around 1:30am. Will hadn't come back and she wondered where he was. She kissed Jem one last time, and then he walked out of the mansion. Tessa watched him go, smiling dazedly. Jem's so kind, she thought, and funny, and smart, and hot, and--

"Tessa!" She heard someone exclaim.

She snapped out of her trance and turned around. Isabelle was standing there, looking distressed.

"Yeah?" Tessa echoed.

"You've got to come outside. Now." She said, sounding panicked.

"Why?" Tessa questioned. "Has something happened?"

"Will's gotten into a fight."