Chapter 4

Tessa woke up the next morning to the sound of her alarm ringing, loudly. She heard Clary groan, in the bed beside hers, and Tessa tiredly sat up. She sluggishly walked towards her tiny closet and pulled out jeans, a t-shirt, and a grey hoodie.

"God, I shouldn't have drank so much last night." Clary groaned.

Tessa only chuckled, and went to their bathroom and got ready. After she was finished, she put her books in her bag, and bid goodbye to Clary. She walked out of their dorm and down the hallways, and into the elevator. Soon, she was outside and she started to walk across campus to her literature class. While she walked, Tessa reflected on the night before, and of Will's rudeness. She still couldn't believe that he was like that, and his lack of caring appalled her. It didn't matter anymore though, she told herself, you never have to speak to him again. That was the last time she went to a party.

Tessa reached her class soon, and took a seat in the very front row, beside an Asian boy with black hair. He was very attractive - his features quite delicate and fair. He gave her a small smile as she sat down.

"I'm surprised you sat there. Everyone hates the front row." He remarked, smiling.

Tessa returned it. "Not me."

"I'm James Carstairs, but everyone calls me Jem." He introduced.

"I'm Tessa Gray." She smiled. "Is this your first year?"

"Yup, and I'm really nervous." Jem chuckled lightly. "What about you?"

"It's mine, too, and I understand. I didn't think I would be nervous, but now I totally am." Tessa smiled slightly.

"If you faint. I'll catch you." He assured her, grinning.

Tessa only laughed, and Jem smiled. Soon, people started to file in, though the desk on Tessa's left remained empty even when class finally started. Their professor was a middle aged lady named Professor Anderson, and she went over the course outline. They would be studying many classic novels and Tessa felt ecstatic. Classics were her favourites, and she had read them all at least a thousand times. Halfway through Professor Anderson's introduction, there was a knock the door. She went to open it, and when Tessa saw who walked in, she froze in her seat.

To her horror, it was Will. He was wearing tight black skinny jeans, and a plain white t-shirt. His dark black hair was styled casually, and his cool blue eyes were looking at their professor.

"You're late." Professor Anderson spoke.

"Really? I hadn't noticed." Will replied sarcastically.

"Take a seat." She glared at him.

Tessa froze again and wanted to sink down in her seat, when she realized that the only empty seat was beside her. Will's blue eyes found her, and he only looked at her, showing no emotion. Then, he took a seat beside her, and Professor Anderson continued to speak. All throughout her lengthy speech, Will stared at Tessa, and she was almost squirming under his gaze. When she could not take it anymore, she looked at him.

"What do you want?" She whispered, glaring.

He broke out into a smirk. "I was seeing how long it would take you to crack."

Tessa only rolled her eyes, annoyed, and focused her attention back to their professor.

"The first novel we will be starting is 'Pride & Prejudice'. I would like you to all discuss the character of Elizabeth, as I assume you all have read the book. Please feel free to discuss with the others around you." Professor Anderson finished.

Tessa smiled to herself, she absolutely loved that book. She hastily opened her notebook, and immediately started to write point form traits of Elizabeth.