Chapter 18

Friday night came quickly, and Will was standing in the living room with Jace at his fraternity house. Their party was tonight, and he felt something close to happiness. Not because of the party - because she would be coming. Tessa's face came to his mind, and he felt his heart race faster, and a smile just about took over his face.

God, he loved her. So much.

Will wasn't sure what it was about her. Maybe it was how she was almost always smiling, or the way her eyes crinkled when she laughed, or how she somehow put up with him. Whatever it was, Will couldn't get enough of it. He couldn't even sleep at night - all night it was like voices whispered her name in his mind. He hadn't believed in love, but then she came, and changed everything. He had surprised himself by telling Tessa that he had "been" in love with someone, in the car that day. In reality, he had actually meant her.

Tessa was the only thing that distracted him from everything else in his life. He had tried to push her away from the start, but it hadn't worked. Will secretly knew that she was too good for him and that she would never want him, but he could only hope that she would. He didn't deserve her, though. Tessa was kind and good, and he was rude and bad. They were complete opposites. Soon, the party started, and Will was standing with Jace in the kitchen.

"Come on, just drink something." Jace tried to convince him.

Will shook his head. "I'm not drinking tonight."

When he told Tessa how he felt about her, he wanted to be completely sober.

His cousin raised an eyebrow. "Why?"

"I don't feel like it today." Will replied simply.

Jace laughed. "Bullshit you don't. Why do you even bother lying to me?"

"I lie to everyone, you're no exception." Will rolled his eyes, slightly amused.

"Well, I should be." Jace said.

He seemed like he was about to say something else, when he stopped, his eyes moving away from Will and into the crowd. Will followed his gaze, and his heart jumped when he saw Tessa weaving her way through the crowd, with the other girls, towards them. She was wearing a short black dress which was quite tight, and her hair was straight. Every time he saw her, no matter what she was wearing, Will found himself speechless for a few seconds. All of the girls reached them, and his eyes were stuck on Tessa. She was smiling at Jace who had just complimented her, and then her eyes went to him.

"Tess." Will smirked.

"William." She replied, a bit amused.

"You look really nice." He forced the words out of his mouth, quickly.

Tessa seemed surprised. "Thanks, so do you."

He only shot her a smirk, to which she blushed slightly. He found it cute when she did that, and he resisted the urge to chuckle.

"Will, Tatiana was looking for you." Isabelle piped up.

Will groaned, tiredly. "God, can't she tell that I'm not interested?"

"Not when you keep hooking up with her every weekend." Simon retorted, smirking.

"I haven't hooked up with her in weeks." He defended.

"I think she wants to marry you." Cecily laughed.

"Who would want to marry Will?" Tessa teased, grinning.

He smirked, rolling his eyes. "A lot of people, including you."

She laughed. "You wish."

I do, Will thought to himself. They all spoke for awhile, though Will didn't say much. He could barely keep his eyes off of Tessa and he hated it. He watched as a few minutes later, she walked off with the other girls to go dance. Will didn't dance, so usually these parties were pretty boring for him if he did not drink. And tonight was one of those nights. He sighed to himself and listened on the conversation Simon and Jace were having. Soon, the girls returned. Tessa was standing and laughing with Isabelle, and Will tried to work up the courage to get her alone. Come, don't be such a pussy, Will thought to himself. This isn't you.

"Tessa, can I talk to you?" Will started.

She seemed surprised, but nodded. Will lead her to the backyard, to where there weren't a lot of people. They both took a seat on the steps of the porch, and they were both silent for a moment.

"What did you want to talk about? Have I done something?" Tessa asked curiously.

"No, you haven't done something." He replied.

"You know, I'm surprised you're not off drinking and making out with some girl." Tessa commented.

"I didn't feel like it, tonight." Will spoke in a low voice.

She looked at him sideways. "Are you okay? You're acting weird."

Say it, Will, he told himself. Now was the time. Will turned to look at Tessa, who was already looking at him. Her grey eyes were big and they were the colour of the clouds on a stormy day. Her eyes haunted him in his sleep, and they were his favourite thing about her. That was the first thing Will had noticed about her the first time they had seen each other - her eyes. It seemed like every time he looked at her, they were a different shade of grey. They were mesmerizing. Right now, her eyes held a burning curiosity.

"I have to tell you something." Will started, his voice a bit shaky.

"What is it?" Tessa asked softly.

He took a deep breath. "Tessa, I'm in--"

"Tessa! There you are." A voice said from behind them.

They both turned their heads to see Jem standing behind them, smiling at Tessa. Will's heart sank as soon as he saw him, and his hopes of telling Tessa of how he felt about her were crushed.

"Jem." She smiled brightly. "I didn't think you'd be here so soon."

"Eh, I thought I'd come early." He grinned.

Tessa looked back at Will, question in her eyes. "What was it you wanted to tell me, Will?"

"Don't worry about it." Will said, his voice even. "It wasn't that important, anyway."

"Oh, alright." She sounded a bit unconvinced. "I'll talk to you later, then?"

He only nodded his head, and then Tessa was gone walking back into the house with Jem. His felt his heart break a bit, and he felt incredibly stupid. Had he seriously thought that he would tell her he loved her, and she would leave her boyfriend for him? Will chuckled dryly, feeling nothing but hatred for himself. He was an idiot. A rude, lovestruck, idiot. Tessa would never want him, not while she had Jem who was basically perfect.

It's not going to be me, Will thought. It'll never be me.