Chapter 23

The days passed by quickly, and Tessa slowly found herself feeling less and less hope that Jem would call her. She knew she deserved the treatment she was receiving from him, but she wanted to hear his voice so badly. Currently, she was sitting in the living room of the sorority house, reading a book, Saturday afternoon. Clary was out with Jace and she had no idea where Isabelle and Cecily were. Tessa had finished all of her homework and was feeling very bored.

Her phone then rang very loudly, and she answered as quickly as she could, in hopes of it being Jem.

"Hello?" She spoke eagerly.

"I need you." Will's voice rang out on the other end.

Tessa deflated a bit. "What?"

"I need you to be my date tonight." Will replied. "My mother is having a dinner party with all of her coworkers and she asked Cecily and I to bring a date, and I only just remembered."

"So? Why don't you ask Tatiana." She raised an eyebrow.

Will groaned. "No way. She's just going to be all over me all night and tell my mother that we're dating."

"Would that be such a bad thing?" Tessa mused.

"I'll pick you up at seven." Will completely ignored her comment and then hung up.

"He didn't even let me give him an answer." She muttered to herself as she walked upstairs to look for an outfit.

After almost an hour of searching, Tessa settled in a black long sleeved dress that came to her mid-thighs with black heels. When Will finally knocked on the door at 7:02pm, Tessa was applying one last coat of mascara. She grabbed her purse and walked downstairs. Will was dressed nicely, and she didn't miss the way his eyes widened when he saw her.

"You look nice." Will spoke finally.

"Is Will Herondale actually being nice to me?" Tessa gasped dramatically.

He rolled his eyes, amused. "Come on."

They both walked out of the house and got into Will's car. They were both quiet for majority of the car ride, but Tessa was very aware of Will sitting only a few inches away for her. Once in awhile she would randomly get a flashback of their night together and she would blush. By the time they reached Will's mother's house, Tessa was happy to have some space between them. Will knocked on the door and it was opened by Linette herself. She looked beautiful in a white dress.

"Will!" She exclaimed, immediately hugging her son.

Will hugged her back, seeming a little embarrassed, to which Tessa chuckled lightly. Linette then pulled away from him and looked at Tessa.

"Oh, Tessa, so nice to see you again. You look very beautiful." She then hugged Tessa.

"Thank you." She replied, smiling.

Will and Tessa then walked into the living room which was crowded with a bunch of people, mostly adults much older than her. Tessa spotted Cecily with Gabriel and dragged Will over to them.

"You owe me five bucks." Cecily smirked at Gabriel when they both saw Tessa and Will.

Gabriel only huffed and handed his girlfriend five dollars.

"Why?" Tessa asked.

"I told Gabriel that I thought Will would bring you as his date, but he thought he would Tatiana, so we made a bet." Cecily grinned. "Which I won."

"Oh, you two are so funny." Will rolled his eyes.

Tessa only blushed slightly, and looked away from Cecily who was smirking at her. Will then pulled her away from his sister and they ended up in the basement, where they were alone. There was a large TV and sofas. Tessa guessed that Will had spent a lot time in here before he had moved out.

"Are you sure we shouldn't be upstairs?" Tessa asked.

"We said hello to my mother. That's good enough." Will replied, throwing himself down on one of the sofa's.

"So we're just going to sit down here and watch TV?" She questioned.

"Yeah. Unless you'd like to do something else?" He smirked at her.

She rolled her eyes as she sat down beside him. "Don't even."

Will winked at her and then turned on Netflix, and put on "The Office". Tessa could barely pay attention to the show with Will sitting so close to her. There was only about a few inches between the two of them, and Tessa could almost feel the heat radiating off of him. A part of her wanted to move closer to him, to feel the feelings of his arms around her and her head on his chest. She stole a glance at him from the corner of her eye. His eyes were set on the TV and his face was relaxed. Even the side of his face was beautiful.

"Do you need something?" He was suddenly smirking at her.

Heat rose to her face. "Uh, no."

Will chuckled, still smirking, and then he was suddenly pulling her to him and his arm was around her. Before she had time to overthink it, Tessa laid her head on his chest. She could hear his heart, which was beating very fast, and she knew hers was beating even faster. His hand was resting on her lower back, his fingertips tracing shapes on the thin fabric of her dress. Tessa tried very hard to focus on the show, all she could think about was Will's hands on her and the beat of his heart.

"Awwww, aren't you two cute!" A voice suddenly squealed.

Tessa and Will sprang apart, and Tessa saw Cecily and Gabriel standing behind the couch, Cecily smirking widely.

"I - um-" Tessa stuttered.

Cecily laughed, throwing herself down on one of the couches. "Don't worry, you don't have to explain yourselves."

Tessa peeked at from the corner of her eye. He was glaring at his sister, his eyes narrowed. She looked back at Cecily, who was still smirking at her, and shrunk in her spot. God, she thought. How humiliating.