Chapter 27

Tessa walked into Literature the next day, feeling and looking like hell. Her and the other girls had gotten back home at around 2:30am, and she was absolutely exhausted. That was the last time she went to a party on a school night. She was also feeling nervous about seeing Jem, since she had not seen him since they had broken up. Tessa went and took her seat, giving Jem a small smile. He returned it and she felt a bit of her anxiety fade. Maybe this won't be so bad, she thought to herself. Will was not in his seat yet.

Class started and as usual, Will was ten minutes late. He sauntered into the classroom, not seeming the least bit bothered that he was late. He was dressed in his usual all black attire, and also as usual, he took Tessa's breath away. Although, she felt terribly awkward sitting in between Will and Jem, considering what had gone on between the three of them. Will threw himself down into his desk, and then looked at her.

"You look like hell." He stated.

Tessa shot him a glare and was annoyed that she couldn't say the same thing about him. "Thanks."

Will smirked and his eyes shot over to Jem, then back to her. "How awkward for you."

"Don't sound so amused." She snapped.

He chuckled lightly. "I'm sorry, it's just kind of funny if you think about it. I mean, what are the chances you would have to sit in between the both of us?"

Tessa only rolled her eyes, and he laughed again. She then began to work and Will did not speak to her for awhile. About halfway through class, he leaned over to her.

"Do you want to go somewhere after class?" Will spoke in a low voice.

She felt surprise run through her. "Where?"

He shrugged, carelessly. "I don't know. Anywhere."

Tessa agreed, and went back to working, though now she could not focus. Where was Will going to take her and why did he ask her? Class went by quickly after that and Tessa followed Will to his car and got in it. She could not help but recall their first kiss which had taken place here. Will began to drive.

"Where are you taking me?" Tessa asked.

"I know a place." Was all he said.

They were both silent for the rest of the drive, and Tessa absentmindedly looked out of the window. She wondered why he had even asked her to go somewhere with him. Sometimes, she was convinced that Will did not even like her. He was so hot and cold and Tessa could not keep up with him. After awhile of driving, Will suddenly stopped at the side of the road.

"We're here." He said simply, and began to get out of the car.

Tessa hurriedly followed him as they began to walk towards grove of trees. Will walked a few steps in front of her, his hands in his pockets and she found she was even hypnotized by the way he walked. After a few minutes of walking, they both stepped out into a clearing, and Tessa's eyes widened. There was a large, deep blue lake with a dock on one side, and trees surrounded it, It was one of the most beautiful sights she had ever seen.

"This is beautiful." Tessa breathed.

"Come on." Will said.

He began to walk in the direction of the dock. When they finally reached it, he bent down and took a seat on the edge of it, his legs swinging down. Tessa joined him, their shoulders just about grazing.

"How did you find this place?" She asked curiously.

Tessa turned her head to look him. Will's bright blue eyes were focused on the lake, seeming in thought. Just when she thought he wasn't going to reply, he spoke.

"My father used to bring me here." His voice was emotionless.

She felt surprise run through her at Will's words. She had never heard him speak about his father.

"Ask me." He said, sounding slightly amused.

"Ask you what?" Tessa echoed.

"Ask me where my father is." A small smirk played at Will's mouth. "I didn't think you would be so slow to ask. That is very unlike you."

She rolled her eyes, playfully. "Where is your father?"

His smirk faded, and he turned his head to look at the lake. Tessa had never seen him look so serious.

"My father was an alcoholic - could never go very long without having a drink." Will began, looking like his mind was searching for the right words to say. "And when he was drunk, he was horrible. He - he would beat me."

Tessa felt shock crash into her like a wave, and her head whipped to face Will. He was staring out onto the lake, calmly.

"It was only me who faced his anger. He believed that I was too soft and that I needed to be taught to be a man. He didn't like the way I was always reading books and never out playing with the other boys my age. My mother never knew about it. He would hit me in places that could be covered." He continued.

"Did - did you ever tell your mother?" Tessa spoke weakly.

Will shook his head. "I only told Cecily last year. I never told my mother about it while it was happening because I was afraid my father would hurt her, too."

He was silent for a few moments then.

"One day, when I was fifteen years old, my father was driving drunk on the way home from the bar, and crashed into another car and died." Will said.

"Oh, Will." Tessa whispered.

"I used to wonder why I wasn't enough for him. Why he thought I needed to be fixed. Sometimes, I still do." He was now struggling to get words out. "I'm afraid I'll turn out just like him."

"You won't." She told him. "You could never be like that."

"Sometimes, I can understand why he would beat me." Will looked at her, pain in his eyes. "Why I wasn't good enough. I am the most fucked up person, Tess."

Her heart broke at his words. She wished Will could see himself through her eyes so he could see how special he really was. He was everything she wished she could be.

"Don't you dare think that, Will." Tessa started. "No one deserves to be treated like that, and especially not you. You are perfect the way you are. You always know how to make me laugh, and you always know how I'm feeling before I even know myself. You are so amazing in your own way, and I wish you could see that."

Will looked at her for a moment, in shock, and then quickly looked back at the lake. "Thank you, Tessa."

They were both silent for a few seconds, then.

"Why did you bring me here, Will?" Tessa asked softly.

"Because I've never told anyone that story besides my sister." He turned to look at her. "And I wanted to tell you."

Surprising herself, she reached out and took his hand. It seemed to surprise him as well because his eyes shot to where their hands were.

"I'm happy you told me." Tessa spoke quietly.

Will only nodded and looked back at the lake. They sat there for a long time, hand in hand, looking out onto the water.