Chapter 31 ~ Solidarity

What lies behind a smile?
Alex P.o.v

It's been a year since then, my health was steady but could become critical at any given time. I got a job at a local phone store to help my dad pay the bills but he wouldn't accept the money.

I'm grateful to my dad for letting me stay here but soon I'll have to move out. Kyle, I miss you. I wish things turned out differently. If I didn't leave that day, you'd be with me right now but leaving you was the right choice. I put you through so much and I couldn't add to that, I couldn't put you through this, you deserve to be happy... I'm going to die at any time and my illness is speeding that up... what if one day you walked in and found me dead? That's not a scenario I'd ever want to imagine and that is something I must absolutely not put you through. You're better of without me. Forgive me one day?

Maybe we can be together in the afterlife where we can start over afresh? No history, no memories, just two guys falling in love. I wish that could happen one day.

Every time I get sick or even when my sinus acts up, my dad goes into panic mode and takes me to the doctor immediately. I'm sorry dad but one day I'll have to leave you to...

"You okay son?", says my father as I stand on the balcony staring at the sea.

"Yeah I'm okay", I say to him.

"You're thinking about Kyle aren't you?", he asked as he stood next to me.

"You know about Kyle?", I asked surprised.

"You sleeptalk. Most nights you'd cry and scream his name when you're asleep", says my father as I stand there extremely embarrassed.

"Well... urm.. you see...", I say flustered.

"Go to him", says my father as he looks at me.

"It's not that easy, I abandoned him. I left him behind and I never told him goodbye", I say as my voice breaks.

"Something that you'll regret for the rest of your life if you don't make it right", says my father.

"He'll never forgive me, plus he's better off without me in life", I say as i wipe the tear that fell out my eye.

"Stop putting on a brave face son, there's a chance he will forgive you. If there's at least a chance then you have to take it", says my father.

"I'm going to die", I say as another tear escapes my eye.

"Everyone dies one day so we have to live for today. What do you want people to remember you by? Your mother died with so much regret and anger and I will not let you do the same", he says to me as he hugged me.

"I LOVE HIM", I say as I cry into his arms.

"There are people in this world that prefer solitude but no one can withstand it son. Don't hide from the world.", he says as he lets me go.

"Thanks, dad", I say as I sniff.

"Go to him, apologize, tell him what's going on, he deserves an explanation", says my father.

"I don't even know where to find him", I say.

"I have his address", says my father.

"What? How?", I asked surprised.

"Kyle visited your aunt a while back. He left a forwarding address for her", says my father as I gulp.

"Wil it really be okay to go find him? What if he hates me so much that he resents me and doesn't want to see me", I say.

"Then you come straight home", says my father.

"Thank you dad", I say to him with a big smile on my face.

"You're welcome, son. Now go get your guy.", says my father as he pushed me forward.

I hurry upstairs to pack a small suitcase. If he does shun me then I can stay at a hotel. I packed light as the ocean sir blew on my face. Kyle, I'm coming for you, just wait a little longer, just thinking that brought the biggest smile on my face. I was sulking so much that forgot how to smile but I'd often think of you and smile like an idiot. You're the reason for my smile Kyle. I don't even know what I'm going to say to you but ill start with I'm sorry. I owe you so much and just seeing your face is the only thing that will keep me going.

A few moments later I caught a scent in the air, there was no mistaking it. This was Kyle's perfume ... This smell I could never forget. I hurry to the window and peer outside but I didn't see anyone. This nostalgic scent then disappeared into the wind.

Why did I get that scent just now? Am I losing my mind? I hurry downstairs and bust the door open running outside. Kyle, am I thinking about you so much that my subconscious is picturing you here right now?

What am I even thinking? There's no way you could be here right now. It's a universal perfume, surely some random stranger could have easily worn it and passed by. I close the gate as I fall to my knees. Why do I feel so weak all of a sudden?

I... I can't breathe. I fall face-first to the ground trying to catch my breath.

"D... Da.... dad..", I say hoarsely trying to breathe but it was as if the oxygen cut off.

I then immediately blackout. I couldn't remember anything after that. I then woke up in a hospital bed with my father by my side.

"Alexander. How are you feeling? Are you okay?", he asked as I removed the breathing mask from my face.

"What happened?", I ask.

"You had an asthma attack", says my father.

"But I don't have asthma", I say confused.

"The HIV virus can shut down your immune system and bring back any illness that you've ever had in your lifetime", says a woman as she walked in.

"You had asthma when you were a child, your mother and I would often rush you to the hospital because of severe asthma attacks", says my father.

"My body is failing, isn't it? Is this what my future will be like?", I ask as I grip the bedsheets.

"Alex, I would like to keep you here for a little while. We can help build your immune system back up but it'll take a while", says the doctor.

"A while?", I ask.

"At least a month", she says as I gulp.

"I'm sorry son but Kyle will have to wait.", says my father as he puts his hands on my shoulder.

"He's been waiting. Maybe this is a sign?", I say as tears ran down my cheek.

"I'm really sorry son.", says my father as I cry into his arms.

Fate has been so cruel to these two lovers, will the hands of fate move once again, or is this the end of the tale of true love?