4.4

Rylee was sitting in a booth with Ian at Patsys, talking over pie and milkshakes. They had both quit their jobs at the diner, but still spent quite a bit of time there. Rylee looked at the clock that read 1:56PM, dreading the moment Carl would walk through the doors to start his 2 o'clock shift.

"he never said why?" Ian asked with a mouth full of pie.

"No, he just hasn't responded to me at all." she sighed, running her hands through her hair, "has he said anything to you?"

"No, carl doesn't talk to me about girls unless he needs condoms or something." Ian told her, just as Carl approached the diner. He walked straight over to them when he saw, taking a seat next to rylee.

"hey, baby." he smiled at her.

"hey, carl," she said, not mirroring his tone, "how are you?"

"good."

"I haven't seen you since last week." she pointed out, then mumbled "or even talked to you."

"I know, I've been so busy." carl groaned and rylee just raised her eyebrows at him.

"oh."

"we're going clubbing tonight, do you want to come?" Carl quickly changed the subject.

"with who?" she asked halfheartedly, moving around what's left of her pie with her fork.

"steven and some of his friends"

"Oh," she nods, "sure."

Carl was about to say something else, when the bell rang in the kitchen, signaling that he needed to get back there and start on an order. Rylee and Ian just watched him walk back through the door before Ian turned to face rylee again.

"That was weird." he chuckled.

Rylee was going to reply, when Mickey suddenly appeared in the diner, and sat next to Ian.

"my kid is so fucking annoying." He groaned, taking Ian's plate of pie and helping himself.

"No, he's not." Ian said at the same time as Rylee asked why.

"he never shuts the fuck up or stops like, shitting all the time." He said in a clearly annoyed tone, deciding to answer rylee instead of Ian.

"you love him, he's your son." Ian said, rolling his eyes lightly at his boyfriend.

"doesn't mean he isn't an annoying little fuck." Mickey retaliated.

"wanna go back to my place?" Ian asked them both, throwing a 20 on the table and standing up, Mickey nodding and doing the same.

"I'm supposed to wait for carl, I guess." rylee mumbled, staying put in the booth.

Ian just shook his head and walked to the counter across from the kitchen.

"Carl!" he called out.

"What?" Carl yelled in reply, not bothering to show his face through the small opening in the wall.

"rylees gonna wait for you at the house with me and Mickey."

"okay."

Ian turned back around to face rylee, "All fixed, let's go."

_________

"do you have your leg wrapped?" Carl asked Rylee, as he sat on her bed while she got ready for the club.

"yeah, I dropped a knife on my leg on accident at work last week." Rylee told him as she rummaged through her closet for something to wear.

"why didn't you tell me?" Carl asked, almost sounding offended.