•2

°Malia's POV

I stood there frozen. It can't be true, it must be a joke. Maybe, it's a prank show and all the camera people are hiding to catch my reaction.

"W-What di-did you say?" I ask while struggling to take the words out.

Jaimee exhales.

"Well this must be a lot to take in, hun."

"Yeah, no shit." I said in pure anger and sass.

"Malia.." My mother warns, gritting her teeth.

"Mary it's fine, I understand why she's stressed right now. We don't know anything about eachother. Being told that she'd be living with someone she hardly knows for a year ,is quite frightening."

My mother nods slowly, but pissed.

Jaimee glance at my mother.

"I think it's better if you talk to her. I mean this is your news." she smile weakly at the both of us, and exit the house.

I sit down on the leather jet black coach, and stare at my mother.
"Mind telling me what's going on?"

My mother stare at me sadly but, nods.

"Hubun, I want you to stay with her.I've been offered this amazing job and it could support me and you. The problem is that I won't come back here in Nebraska until June of next year."

"What is the job you've been offered, and where will you be for the year?"

She slowly sit on the couch next to me. She looks down on tbe burgundy carpet on the floor.

"The job i've been offered is accounting in this beautiful place, and It's in.. South Sudan."

I bolt out of the seat and look at her bewildered.
"In South What Now?"

She grabs my hands and gently help me sit down.

"Jin bah leen un."
(Listen to me.)

I can't believe that my mother would leave me here with a person I don't know know anything about, so she could work in this job.

I huff, and nod my head.

Mom gaze at me in the eyes.
"I'm sorry that I didn't tell you sooner, and i'm sorry that i'm going to be leaving you here for a year but, just know that i'm doing this to support 'us' not just 'me', Ok?"

I nod lowering my head to the carpet.

There was silence for maybe ten seconds. I started hearing sniffing.

"Y-you know it's been really hard for me to find a descent job to support for us ever since your father decided to leave us. I've been trying for years to find a descent job to support us. To recieve an email from them yesterday, was like a miracle. It's like the Lord is giving me a fresh start, love."

I look at my mother.

She look weary, tired, and stressed.

"I understand mother."

She smile weakly.

I hold my mothers hands and look in her in the eyes.

"Even though i'm mad that you are deciding to leave for a year with someone I don't have any memory about, I now understand why you are doing what you are doing."

Mama's mouth starts to quiver, and tears starts to fall down to her cheeks.

"Nyawalaga, do you forgive me?" She ask nervous.

I nod my head.
"Yes, mama."

Mama immediately give me a bear hug.

"..Mama I can barely..Breathe."

She quickly let go, and I take the time to breathe the oxygen that I needed.

"Awwwweeee." I heard a soft voice say from behind us.

We look back to see my mother's friend Jaimee, gazing at us like she adored what she saw. She wipes her wer eyes with a tissue.

"That was just beautiful." She croak.

My mother roll her eyes and wipe the tears on her face.
" Ahh..Jaimee Jaimee, just as dramatic as we were in college."

Jaimee chuckles.

"You guys met in college?" I asked shock.

They both nod grinning.

"High school actually." Mama said.

"We were pure enemies at first." Jaimee chuckles.

"We were both roommates." They both said simultaneously.
They both look at eachother then laugh.

"You want to know about how we met?" Jaimee ask me excited.

"Sure." I said smiling.

"but but but." Mama said lifting her pointer finger up.
"We have to eat dinner because it's going to be a long story." She says looking at Jaimee and I for approval.

"Ok." I said.

"Sounds fine with me." Jaimee says. "What are we having?,"

"Well..I attempted to make lasagna and cook the crab meat..But, i failed. So,since I know both of you love Chinese food, I thought that it would be perfect to try the new Chinese restaurant, China Taste, across the street."

"Ok." I said.

I know that my mother struggle a lot on cooking food that she don't see in South Sudan. The food she can master, maybe even with her eyes closed, were Injera.

"Mary! You still don't know how to cook crab meat after I taught you how in college?" Jaimee ask offended.

Mama's eye's widened and she bolt out of the leather seat.
"I actually still do know how to cook it. It's not my fault the stupid Crab meat decided to turn pitch black."

Jaimee and I laugh.

I have a feeling that Jaimee and I are going to get along :)

"Are we going to get this Chinese food or not?" My mother ask pretty embarrased.

"Ok Crab burner." Jaimee laughs.
"How far is the Restaurant?"

"Just five minutes by walking. I'm sure we can all walk..as long as you're all ok with it."

"Ok." Jaimee and I said simultaneously.

"Let's go." Mama says grabbing her black handbag from the couch.

We made our to the door to try the new restaurant.

•••
Guys,I really hipe you enjoyed this Chapter.

if you start to like the story please:
VOTE + Follow my account for notifactions when I update and post a new story.