Chapter Thirty Four- Rumor

I glanced back at my phone and saw 'No new notifications'.

I groaned in my hands and turned and twisted in my bed, trying to sleep. But I couldn't.

I re-opened the contacts list for millionth time in my phone and hovered a finger over his name.

Should I call?

Wouldn't it seem desperate?

Ugh!

I shut my phone and jumped out of the bed. I walked downstairs, and grabbed ice cream from the fridge. It was freezing outside but I didn't care.

I felt like wallowing and so I did.

I ate as I reminisced all the moment which led us upto last night. Someone flickered the lights in the kitchen on and I screamed inside of me.

It took seconds for my eyes to adjust. Marissa stood smiling at me.

She came and took a seat beside me. "Ice cream in the middle of a night? Couldn't sleep?"

I knew what she was thinking. According to her I wasn't able to sleep because of the secret mom and dad told me hours ago.

I wasn't allowing myself to think of what ifs because it hurt too much. That's why I was instead focusing on stupid jerk who wouldn't even bother to call or text.

She half hugged me and I let her comfort me. We talked about past days and I told her I missed her cooking. So she promised to cook my favorites the entire day tomorrow.

"Go and try to sleep. Okay, Ms. Elle?"

I nodded and hopped off the stool. "Yeah, okay."

But, I knew sleep wouldn't be coming to me tonight, no frigging matter what.

***

Marissa handed me my phone, as I picked dad's call.

"Good morning, dad." I yawned.

He sighed. "Good afternoon, Michelle."

I chuckled. "Yeah dad. Good afternoon. You called?" I prompted him to get on the point for calling. Yes, he turned into my dad only for couple of minutes yesterday and now, he was back to being his ole self again.

"Well, as you know you're soon going to handle a lot of things in the business, and then one day will takeover the whole empire of Reynolds estate..."

"Yeah," I was on the edge of the couch now, ready to topple over.

"I'm handing you a petty job to see how you will do. I want you to go to a little meeting today for me. Let me see how it works out with you. I'll text you the details and address in couple of minutes."

I nodded. Oops.

"Okay dad." I sighed. It wasn't like I had a choice.

It's no choice. I am not being requested here. It's a command.

"Don't let me down." Okay, now don't start singing chainsmoker's 'don't let me down'.

Nope. I was not singing myself.

"I'll try my best not to." I said, sternly.

"I've to go now."

"Okay bye, daddy." I sneered, rolling my eyes, knowing he wouldn't know. Then the line went dead.

So much to the lost times.

I rushed upstairs and got dressed appropriately. Dad had texted me, so I put the address in the GPS and grabbed my handbag while shoving my feet in my professional looking heels.

I strolled downstairs and told Marissa that I would be back home late.

I walked inside dad's study, grabbed the file he told me to and headed to the garage.

I desperately wanted to go and see Evan. I wanted to talk about the deal he mentioned. I wanted to clear things out but, getting on dad's bad side wouldn't be worth it.

I turned the radio on for some self-entertainment as it was going to be a long ride.

I was singing along to Zayn's Dusk till dawn when my phone rang. It was Justin. I pressed Decline.

I wasn't ready to talk to someone who betrayed me like that. What the hell was he even thinking? He called again and I declined again.

Then he didn't call and I was relieved.

It was just fifteen minutes into driving and I was already peeking at my wrist watch. Ugh!

This place was like an hour and half away. I couldn't even bring Kim or Soph with me. I knew dad would freakout and fail me in his test of being a responsible person.

At that moment, my phone buzzed yet again and I placed it on the speaker, seeing Kim's name flash over.

"Hey babe." I cheered, feeling less lonely.

"Hi Miss-I've-finally-been-kissed." I cracked up at that.

I loved her for knowing exactly what to say to make me laugh. "Bugger off!" I mocked-snapped at her.

Long trees dotted both my side, the road was wide and mostly deserted. And I was absolutely speeding.

"What do you want now Kim?" I asked, humming the lyrics of the next song by Shawn 'Nothing holding me back'. It's absolutely my new favorite.

"Nothing. I was just missing you..."

I rolled my eyes. Yeah, right!

"KIM?!!"

She sighed and I could see her nodding, "I heard a rumor that... Nobody might be switching schools."

I almost lost my control on the wheel. Almost.

My heart screeched to a halt. But, I drove on like it was fine.

Was he?

Why?

Because of me?

"Elle...."

"Yeah...?" I couldn't hide the emotions from my voice.

"Don't worry. I'll try and dig into it. I don't even think it's true." I knew she was trying to make me feel better.

I smiled at her attempt. "I'm fine. It's his life. Well, we all wanted that didn't we? It doesn't matter."

He sighed a long one, "Don't do that Michelle Reynold."

I rolled my eyes. "Do what?"

"You know it. Shutting off your humanity. This isn't Vampire diaries and you ain't a vampire."

And I genuinely laughed at that.

"God! You're so terrible at this."

I bet she's grinning. "I know! Thank you. BTW, where are you?"

"I am driving, heading out for a meeting for dad."

And after a long suspenseful pause, she cracked into fits of laughter.

"Oh, shut up fat ass!" I groaned and she laughed even more.

"Okay, I have to go now..." And I hung up.

________
PRETTY PLEASE VOTE COMMENT AND SHARE💙💙

~D <3