1

Sunny Miami, June 12th 2 pm.

I, Mae Parker, sixteen walked down the halls of my high school. Today was my last day of being an official junior. Next year I would be at the top.

Finally, it took its time.

"Mae!" I heard a voice behind me that interrupted my thoughts. I turned and smiled towards my best-friend Sara Bennet. She came running towards me holding her yearbook and a marker. Even though I had already signed hers, she made me write her a letter that she could pin up this summer. I wrote her something special so she would be happy. She read over it satisfied and smiled.

"Girls, end of year assembly time." a deep manly voice called at the end of the hall towards us. He kept walking down the hall towards the assembly hall. We walked towards the hall slowly and took our seats inside.

This was for the class president announcement. I was running, but didn't expect anything, being a lowlife loser.

The principal hummed into the microphone and the room went quiet. "Welcome students, to the final assembly of your junior lives! I guess you are all here for the class president for senior year. I'll get straight to it." He dropped the microphone onto a table and ruffled his hand through a deep bowl of names, all perfectly folded into rectangles. He pulled out four names in between his middle fingers.

My heart stopped. He walked over to the microphone and cleared his throat.

"Well, first we have Vice Captains!" He announced one male and one female, and I wasn't that female. So it was either president or nothing. As they walked up to the stage and sat with staff members, he stood still at the microphone and waited.

"Now we have our Senior Class Presidents." My heart felt as if it was going to blow up in front of everyone. I could just see the janitor cleaning up that burrito I had at lunch. My ears thudded and my throat burned as I told myself to stay calm. It felt like he was just waiting for me to explode.

"Female Senior President is Mae Parker." I felt Sara's hand on my back, patting me. There was about one hundred and sixty pairs of eyes on me. I stood up and my legs were shaking. I walked up to the stage with tears in my eyes, as my mind tried to process. I got handed some certificate and they sat me down next to my teachers. I couldn't believe what had just happened.

As I walked in the door mom was standing there with some cake of some sort. I guess she had heard. Her boyfriend, Bruce stood at the door holding a dozen balloons. When I threw my bag down, he made an effort to give them to me but I walked straight pass him and to my mother. She hugged me and kissed me on the head about one thousand times. I could see she was in tears and the cake was slowly melting in her hand.

"I am so proud of you my baby!" she was still holding me tightly. Bruce tried to join in on the hug but I pulled away and picked up my dog Lox. I went upstairs and left mom and Bruce hanging.  I pulled out my phone and walked back down as they cut the cake.

"Mae, here's your slice," Bruce said to me as he handed me a paper plate with melted ice cream cake. I took it from his hands and sat down on the table and started to eat. My mom sat down across from me, and Bruce next to her. I looked into my own mother's tired eyes. She had bags under her eyes. Mom had always been a little different ever since my father divorced her. That was over four years ago and she will still struggling through depression. Even before the divorce he was an absent father. I kind of felt like Bruce was always a rebound from my father, until I realized maybe she liked going for younger men, her being fifty five and Bruce was just reaching fifty.

I still felt sorry for my mother. She had done everything for me. She had bought me into this world and all I ever gave her was cold reception and never took a liking to Bruce. She firmly crossed her fingers and looked at me, asking to turn my phone off. I turned the screen towards the table and placed it on silent.