8

I had to get out of here and fast. It was 1pm.

"Hey, you okay you're looking a bit pale there..." Meredith asked. She came over to me.

"Yeah... ahh.. I .. umm."

"Mae?"

"I'm fine." I smiled and she smiled back. She slowly walked away and began to clean tables. I slowly walked backwards making my way into the kitchen. It was then I realized how much of a coward I was being. If I was back home I would have met this man and probably even hooked up with him. But that was just the person I was. I made my way back into the store and looked around. There was no new people in the store. My phone went off. I opened it and read the text. 'Hey I'm here!'

I looked around. Who sent that? I decided to call the number. As I dialed it my heart beated faster and faster. My possible killer could be somewhere in this shop. I raised the phone to my ear and I heard the ringing tone coming from my phone. Suddenly I head a Kanye West song start to play. It was someone's ring tone. I looked around and tried to see who it was, but nobody was reaching for their phones. Suddenly a voice appeared on the other line.

"Hello?"

"Yeah. Hi." I looked around and there was plenty of people on their phones. But which one was he? The shop was too busy for me to tell what each person on the phone was saying. I ducked down behind the counter and he kept talking.

He asked, "Where are you?" I've been here waiting."

"I'm walking down the street now," I slowly replied. "Where are you sitting?"

"Near the window. Hope to see you soon."

He hung up and I said to myself, "Great. Got a killer on my hands." I stood and walked to Meredith. She was about to talk to me but I walked straight past her, and to the table where the man was at the window. It was the one I thought was good looking. The blonde boy in the yellow tank top.

"Would you like to order?" I asked down to him. He looked up at me, still in his sunglasses.

"No thanks, I am waiting on a girl." That girl was me.

"Oh well when she arrives, make sure you order." I smiled and walked away. I could feel him glaring at me as I walked past. Once I had reached the cash register behind the counter I pulled out my phone and text him. 'Hey sorry, can't make it. What about tonight at 6?' I looked up and heard his phone go off. He slowly got up and looked frustrated. He then pushed in his chair and walked out of the store. I checked my watch. It was 1.30 pm.

"Hey, my shifts over. Want to get some lunch now?" Meredith asked, appearing out of nowhere.

"Yeah sure... where though?"

She smirked and said, "Here." An older girl walked in the back door and put on her apron. She smiled at Meredith and glared at me when we brushed shoulders.

"So we have sandwiches, bacon rolls, or a frozen lasagna," she shouted from the fridge at the back of the kitchen.

"Just a sandwich will do me!" I shouted back to her. The cooling from the refrigerator was nice on a day like this. She pulled out two sandwiches. She walked back to the benches and handed me one. We both sat up on the benches opposite each other.

"So did you see the beach hottie beside the window? In the yellow tank top and sunglasses? He was so cute!" she laughed.

"Nah, not really," I lied. We sat there for a while as we ate then she drove me home.

"I wanted to say Thankyou for today, so I'm giving you my extra key to the store in case you ever want to work there. My boss said it was fine, she didn't really buy my story, but she said there's an extra place so it's yours if you want it." Meredith smiled, flashing her perfect white teeth. She held out the key in her hand. I took it from her and placed it in the pocket of my shorts.

"Thanks, and I might have to take you up on that offer. I don't really want to be here with Jeremy and that extra money would be good," I smiled at her. I opened up the car door of the passenger seat and walked up my drive. She waved me bye and drove up our court. Once I was inside I checked my phone. It was 4.45 pm. My phone buzzed as soon as I turned the screen off. It was him.

It said, 'Are we still on for tonight 6pm?'

I texted him back instantly saying, 'Sure are. Where can we meet?' I thought over a thousand ideas of what we could do. I decided I would show up this time. After seeing him today, it made me feel like I should see him. He made me feel different, in a good way. After my fake shift Meredith took me around a few popular shopping places and out of all the restaurants we went by, none seemed perfect for the occasion. My phone buzzed and interrupted me from my thoughts.

He said, 'I have no idea, there's not really any good café I like. Except for the Raw Bite. That's why I wanted to meet you there today.'

'I have an idea. Meet me outside the Raw Bite at 8? Is that good?' I texted back.

'They aren't open at that hour though?'

'I told you I have an idea. Just meet me there.' I smiled as I ran upstairs to find something to wear. I didn't know if I should go casual or formal. If I went casual he would think I am too laid back, but if I went formal he would think I was too dressed up. I decided to go for semi-formal. There was a dress I had bought from home that was red. I wore that with black tights and white flat shoes. I grabbed my purse and the key. I needed that to get in. When I got back downstairs there was a note from my father.

It read, 'Going out tonight with friends. Car is here.' I was actually happy he was gone for once, because I needed the car and I got it. I walked to the door and locked it behind me. I hadn't driven much before but I still knew how to drive.

I got into the car and made my way to Raw Bite.