5

After I drove around for a few hours with the top down on the car, I arrived home at seven p.m. to find Jeremy in the living room with a few of his friends, playing some poker. There was half a dozen empty beer bottles. I put the keys down on the bench and glanced at my lowlife father. "Jeremy," I spoke in a half whisper. One man with a long orange beard turned around and glared at me. I slipped out of my shoes and walked behind the poker table.

"Oiii love..." a voice said as I started to clear the beer bottles. He had an Irish accent. I turned around to face him. He was so close I could smell the whiskey on his breath as he spoke.

"Leave your father with us and get to sleep love." I licked my lips as I looked him in the eyes. Loudly, I placed the glass bottles onto the bench beside me. I couldn't even tell if they broke or not.

"That's right, now sleep tightly," the man said sarcastically as he raised his bottle of whiskey into the air. My feet reached the carpet of the stairs and I knew where I was going. I wasn't going to sleep.

I waited for a few hours when the drinking and poker playing got louder. I didn't check my phone but it had to be past three in the morning. My window creaked as I pushed it up towards the roof. Right leg first, I slipped my body through the window and outstretched my arm for the pipe. I slowly slid down, landing on the ground gracefully. I brushed the dust off me and dodged around the hedges. I looked towards the dark horizon until I found Meredith's house. Second to the left.

Before I knew it I was at her house. I placed my ear on the door and heard a quiet slow beat coming from inside. "Meredith. It's me Mae. Remember me? From the other night?" I heard her walk towards the door and unlock a few too many locks.

"Hey!" she said, her smile the same one I saw the other night. "What are you doing here?"

"I needed somebody to talk to, and you're basically the only person I could think of," I said quietly, entering her house.

"Sure, what's up? And you don't need to whisper nobody is home." She led me over to the couch and I sat beside her.

"My dad drinks every night and gambles and I just don't know what to do, whether I should sleep somewhere else or not," I said as I kicked my toes in and out of my shoes. Meredith looked down the carpet and smiled.

"Your father has been doing that for years. When I was younger and on my way to school in the morning somebody would be just leaving your father's house. Most of the time it was women, and mostly always different ones." When she spoke her voice sounded so strained. I looked up from my feet to her.

"If you ever need someone I'm here Mae," she whispered as she stood. I stood as well and walked towards the door, grabbing the handle.

"Goodbye Mae," she smiled at me and I let myself out. I walked down the steps and into her yard. I looked to the left and saw my house, with all the downstairs lights turned on. The warm summer breeze was in my face, it was still warm for three in the morning. As slow as I could, I made my way home.

When I reached the doorstep I reached for the handle, but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't walk in there on my father in an even worse mood than before. I sat down on the steps and looked over my court. I lay down on my side. What a terrible summer this will be, I thought to myself as I fell asleep.

A/N- This is so short wow. In the next few chapters it gets way more interesting TRUST me. please keep reading, commenting and voting :))