Chapter 1

I was nervous. I never thought I would ever get married in my life and to my surprise I never thought I would marry the man who was the most eligible bachelor of the country.

Even though I never went to a school or a college after my fifth standard, I always had a plenty of books in a corner of my room. But one book that was most close to my heart was my handmade scrapbook. I had stuck all the newspaper cuttings of him in that scrapbook. For he was an inspiration to the youth including me. It was not only his good looks but it was his hard work that made me admire him the most. He was the man who was blessed with handsomeness, brilliance, power and what not.

There was once an article about him that he was the "Shooter of Stars" which mentioned how ambitious he was. He headed Cardoso Corporations at the age of 23 after his father passed away and now after almost five years Cardoso Corporations is one of the best in the market and only one man behind its five years performance was Luiz Cardoso.

One last time I stared at myself in the mirror. I was wearing a cheap wedding gown with some minimum artificial jewellery. I didn't look like those beautiful brides. In fact, I didn't look like a bride at all. I looked like someone who is going to attend a random wedding.

I think that those girls of my age who would attend weddings might look much better than me. However, I didn't know about the weddings that much because the last wedding I attended was my dad and step mom's wedding at the age of two. All I can remember was a very beautiful lady in a huge and a very beautiful wedding gown who actually ruined my whole life.

I was tired of my life. But one thing I was happy about was that I am going to move out of the mansion which was almost like a prison to me. Many things happened to me which people might not even believe.

I was never sent out of my home after fifth standard unless required. I used to go out of home only for two reasons. One, when I had to give lunch to Annie, my step sister, during her school days and later to her college. Second, when I had to buy groceries in the nearby grocery shop.

Things were fine until my dad was healthy. Later, he slipped off the staircase because of which he could never walk. I don't know why he could not walk again. It was not impossible I felt. Maybe he never tried or maybe even he was fed up in life like me because of my step mom. 

The thoughts brought tears into my eyes.

My mom passed away after giving birth to me. My dad considered me as a sin. He considered me as a killer of the woman he loved the most in the world.

All of a sudden, I had faded memories of the time when I was five years old. My dad came tired from office. I was playing with my kitchen set and other toys. But a mere sight of him made me scared to death so I ran into my room and closed my door. But I kept my ears to the door after closing it. He hated me so much. But what was my fault? I could hear his footsteps. Then suddenly there was no sound. My god! The silence was killing me more. Suddenly, I heard a loud sound. Oh! Looks like he threw my kitchen set on the floor. I was crying because I was sad. But more than being sad I was actually scared. He never beat me but then his actions were more than enough to show as to how much he hated me.

But then, my dad changed after almost an year of his second marriage. He started caring for me after seeing how my step mom was treating me. He never loved me like the way he loved Annie. He in fact never spoke to me much. But then deep down I knew that he did care a lot for me. There were always some unspoken emotions between me and him and I always understood him.

My step mom, Maria was a very ruthless woman, I don't really understand how can a person be so ruthless to anyone. She called me dull head, stupid, moron, hopeless creature. But as I grew up, she called me bitch, slut, skank etc.. after she saw me smiling at a grocery man. How could she say that? He is almost the age of my father. She used to beat me. In fact she still beats me.

She was the culprit to stop my education. She said I had a boyfriend at school. Who would have a boyfriend in the fifth standard? And I was a very shy girl. I never spoke much. All I would do is cry in silence because I never had anyone at home to share my pain with.

But after my dad fell from staircase, she took over everything.

All the responsibilities of fields, businesses and other properties that were my dad's hard-earned money was taken over by her and soon, she stopped my education saying its waste to educate a dull head like me.

I still remember my dad throwing the glass in his hand on her for this, but she ran out of house, screamed on road and called all our neighbours saying dad was harassing her. All the neighbours believed her and made unusual comments on my dad saying, "You should be grateful to her that she is taking care of you." "You already lost your wife once, still you are doing this?'' After that I never told him that I wanted to go to school and study. Moreover, even he couldn't help it.

We are very rich but I never got a chance to live a life of even a normal person. I was almost like a maid in our own mansion who did all the work. I never wore the kind of clothes which Annie wore. She was lucky to have mom loved her so much. She was a pampered kid. She was 22 years old now and I was 25 but I could never compare myself with her in any aspects.

"Lara..." I heard her calling. It was Sarah, my only friend, the most cheerful person I had ever met in my life.

"Lara..." her eyes popped out after seeing me. I knew why she was giving that look.

"Is that your wedding dress? Gosh! You are so lean", she said.

"Hmm yeah.", I said.

She gave me a sad smile that didn't reach her eyes.

"Okay wear this at least.", she took off the pearl necklace she was wearing and put it on me.

Oh my God! She is so kind.

"I don't want this." I said.

"Come on Lara. Its your wedding. Okay, consider this as my wedding gift.", saying that she actually convinced me. And for the first time in my life I had tears of joy in my eyes.

"Why are you crying?" she asked.

"Umm nothing, actually you are soo sweet" I said.

"Oh come on! Don't cry for all that now." she giggled.

Then she said, "Let's leave. It's time for you to get married to Luiz Cardoso. God! You are really lucky!" she exclaimed.

The mention of the word "lucky" made me realize that there actually exists something called as luck in people's life which I never had.

"Okay now don't be sad. I meant you are going to be lucky as you are going to marry him. Well, personally I feel that from today you will get your freedom. You are flying out of this cage!" She said looking up.

The thought was so exciting. I will marry him and be happy forever. I was very happy that day. Suddenly, I started having expectations from life. Maybe this is going to be the turning point of my life! If so, I will definitely fall in love with my life.

THIS moment is the chance to restart MY LIFE!

Hey my
lovely High Fliers!!

(Well that's how I address my people!)

Make my day by VOTING, SHARING and FOLLOWING me on WATTPAD.

You people LITERALLY have no idea how much it means to me!

Love you all <3 XOXO   

Also, please comment I like to read your thoughts!