Chapter 12

I was in Starbucks having coffee with Portia. She agreed to meet me immediately when I said I wanted to meet her.

"So, what do you want to ask me?", she said.

"Actually, I wanted to know who is Maryam.", I replied.

She gave a smile which didn't reach her eyes.

"I knew that you were going to talk about this when you called me.", she said.

"I am sorry but Caroline refused to speak about it so I asked you.", I said.

"No, don't worry! Not a problem. What do you want to know about her?", she asked.

"Everything.", I said with dreamy eyes.

"There is nothing much to know Lara. She was an ex-girlfriend of Luiz and unfortunately she passed away two years ago.", she said.

I was shocked and felt sad thinking what Luiz might have felt.

It hurts a lot to loose your loved ones.

Somehow, I could make out from her face that she was not interested to talk to me about it. Her reply was so short.

"How did they meet each other?", I asked curiously.

Curiosity can be the best and the worst thing.

"How does it matter Lara? You should not bother about the things that do not concern you. It's the past. Okay, they met at a marriage ceremony.", she said.

By the way she was talking to me I could make out that she already had a word with Caroline. She is not the usual Portia I know. But still, I have to get the max out of her.

"Then what happened?", I asked her as I wanted her to continue more.

"Nothing they both liked each other and wanted to get married. But they couldn't as she passed away.", she said irritatingly.

"Was she beautiful?", I asked like a stupid.

She just rolled her eyes and gave me a look. The look which I never got from her before.

I won't ask another question for sure. Promise.

"She was a very smart and a brilliant woman. She used to articulate her feelings very well.", she replied.

"Okay", I said.

Smart and Brilliant. I am none of them. Great!

I went home with a heavy heart.

She passed away. Luiz must be broken because of that. But how will it be to be loved by Luiz? She was so lucky to have been loved by him but she was really unlucky to have not shared her life with him.

It was late in the evening and I was tired of over thinking. I lied down on the floor of Luiz's room and drifted to sleep.

"I don't know why you did this to me mom? Why? We had a DEAL that you would handle me all your businesses once I marry her. But now? You handled few of the very crucial businesses to her."

What is happening? Guess Luiz is shouting.

I woke up and saw the clock.

Shit! it was ten at night. I slept for this long?

I went downstairs to see what was happening.

"She is your wife. What is the big difference if I give her a few businesses for handling on my behalf?", she said.