his heart

She was one of the few souls that made me wonder what it was to live.
~the book thief

Serena

"You sent Mrs. Reece away? Why?"

Adrian was smirking at me as he pushed the door open. I didn't know why he had wanted Mrs. Reece gone. Actually she was a kind lady and I liked her.

"I sort of wanted privacy," he told me.

Privacy, huh?

"So that we can live as a newly wedded couple." He added, his blue eyes intense at the corners.

My heart skipped a beat when he said 'newly wedded couple.' Hadn't I made plain to him that I was not going to stay forever? What was he trying to do?

Anyway, I loved the way it sounded.

"I don't know what you want." I stated.

He approached me.
"I want you. Only you." He blurted out.

"Adrian, I can't give you anything that I don't have already," I reminded him.

Our eyes met.
You will get hurt if I open up.

"Serena, no more explanations okay? Just stay with me... I don't know when you will be leaving me... but til then be my girl."

My girl. The way he said that. I wanted to die.

The last thing I wanted to be was anyone's girl. I was fed up of being owned. I learned that relationships meant trouble and the best you could do was not to get involved.

But with Adrian, it was different. I had dated countless number of boys and none of them made me feel the way he did. He wasn't the type girls get attracted to. It might have been to the other girls, but I was not attracted to Adrian because of external handsomeness.

It was the feeling that he gave me. Without my parents and miles away from what I used to call home and somebody trying to get revenge from me, I felt safe.

I felt safer with him.

It was as if I could open up to him, tell him all I had to conceal and still be me.

I wanted to show him who I was, but I was too afraid that it would be another mistake.

Suddenly, Adrian made a move and to my utter horror strike ness, he was one knee.

I stared at him, eyes wide.

"Serena, out of all the stars in the universe, you are my Venus. I don't know what I'm going to do when you are gone. But I don't want to think about it because you are still with me." He paused, "So, will you be my girlfriend?"

"I guess I will give it a try." I said, meekly.

He kissed my hand, sending a shiver through my spine.

"It's almost midnight,"I exclaimed yawning, on purpose, "let's go to bed."

Suddenly, Adrian made a quick move, circled an arm around my waist and lifted me into his arms.
I was panting.

"Please put me down. I have legs and I can walk!" I complained.

"Shush, baby. You don't need to walk when you're with me. I will do that for you."

Carrying me in his arms, pressing me closer to his chest, he opened the bedroom door with a kick from his legs.

I looked around the room. Something was awfully wrong.