erase

Quote

He's like a song she can't get out of her head.
~Pinterest

Serena

'I don't know who you are.'

Exactly 24 hours had passed since I heard those gut wrenching words from him. I stood staring at the wall clock in the classroom in desperation as the time flew by. Every second felt like an infinity, every minute reminded me of the way his mouth opened to say those empty words.

I could quite picture the expression on his face, the way his eyes betrayed concern when he willingly lied to my face.
His words, every accent of them echoed rigidly in my brain and my heart quenched.

I had begged him to come back; twice. But he had refused me. He was the one who kissed Ana, maybe fucked her yesterday night and I was the one who did wrong. I was the one that got rejected.

The period of English Literature went smoothing enough. I remembered the very first day, the day that I bumped into Adrian, the way we shared the same table in which I was sitting.

Now, I am alone.

I gently spread my hands over the table and sighed.

"Miss Waltz? Could you please read the poem so that everyone in the class would hear?"

I raised my face and found Mr Lennox, the teacher staring up at me, his quite bushy eyebrows raised.

With a little help from the albino girl in the neighboring table, I sheepishly found the page that hired the damn poem and summoned strength to my feeble knees and meekly stood up.

"If I can stop one heart from breaking by Emily Dickinson." I choked and the albino girl beside me yawned.

I read out, my fingers shivering as I held the book.

"If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again
I shall not live in vain."

Grumpily I dropped myself to the seat. Me. Lennox approached the blackboard and scribbled something that I barely recognized;

'What is heartbreak?'

***

The next subject I had was Mathematics. Adrian had not been present to the Literature lesson in the morning and I began to notice that he had not come to school. Or maybe he was at school, practicing for the play with Ana.

But Miss Peterson was absent, so that meant there were no practices.

Still I had no desire to meet the blue eyes I loved so much.

True, I loved Adrian.

Unfortunately, I have not changed.

The moment I walked into the class, I inhaled a sigh of relief when I didn't spot him anywhere. However there were two vacant seats available beside Barry. Hiding my astonishment, I occupied the seat on his left.

"Good morning, Serena," he winked at me.

I responded him with a fake smile.

"What's with you and Adrian?" Barry asked, his voice barely audible.

"I don't know," I sighed, "He had dumped me for Ana. I don't know what to do. Ana was at Adrian's place yesterday."