happiest

💞 Thank you for the 2k reads💞

Quote
I have for the first time found what I can truly love. I have found you.
~Charlotte Bronte, 'Jane Eyre'

"What are you doing in his house, child?"

Gemma's voice rang in my ears at a distant; a slight faint whisper. I didn't want to answer that question. She shouldn't be questioning me. She was the one who left me sauntering in the streets in the very first place.

"What would you expect me to do at his house?" I asked her, "I didn't have any place to go because you left me for your own good... and guess what Adrian offered me a place of stay... and yes mother I'm staying in his house."

She looked at me with suspicious eyes.

"Serena why have you removed your wig? Can't you remember that you sweared that you won't ever remove your disguise?," Gemma pulled me to her side, "Are you out of your mind?"

"I know exactly what I am doing. Don't freak out. Adrian doesn't know who I am."

Gemma still looked suspicious.

How much did he ask you?"

I stared at her.
"He didn't ask me anything. I don't pay him any money."

"If money is not the thing... what does he want from you? Don't tell me that you pay him with your hormones!"

"My hormones are mine. I don't want to depend on those who don't want me." I breathed, "and Adrian wants me."

And I want him.

"I'm your mother Serena, do I not have the right to tell you what is wrong and what is right?"

I was shaking.
"You may be my mother, Gemma. But you made it very clear that you don't need me."

Gemma looked angry, her catlike cold eyes were turning wrathful.

"You've never changed a bit, Serena. I thought you had learnt a lesson. I thought you were a different person. But I was wrong."

She sighed.

"Looks like there's that bossy girl in you and she's not ready to leave you yet. I thought you had learnt a lesson."
That was what Peter had told me.
Now, Gemma was saying the exact thing.

Haven't I changed?

"Do what you want," Gemma said suddenly, "but forget that you had a mother. I can't look after you for the rest of my life. I need to start a life on my own."

Sure, that was what you did anyway.
I wanted to cry so hard.
But I held back my tears.

"I came right here after your father's Wedding," Gemma blurted out looking at the ground, "and he told me all about your new boyfriend."

I felt so angry.
Angry tears were forcing me to cry.

"Yes mother, Adrian is the one I love most in my life," I winced as I heard myself use the L-word for the first time, "I don't want to deny that. He's everything that's left for me in this world."

I wanted to show her that I was not alone. I wanted to show her that someone in this world cared for me. I wanted to show her that I could live without her.