this

I changed Jennifer's name into Jenevie, hope you won't tangle everything up. 😉

Quote

For it was not into my ear you whispered but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

~'Jane Eyre' by Charlotte Brontë

Serena

Everything was blank.

Like an empty wall hanger that had no color, no hue and no shade. I looked up and down but there was nothing that caught my eye. I saw nothing.

Am I dead?

I couldn't feel myself, I didn't feel my body, I didn't feel my hands nor my legs: it was as if I had been floating. Floating or moving. I couldn't tell. But I was there; somewhere.

Where am I?

Suddenly, the scenery faded, everything that gave nothing disappeared. And there were colors. Blue, Green, red, brown, black, they were all there.

I began sauntering forward.

As the most of nothingness faded, I began catching the notches of green, the brown of the tree trunks that gnarled themselves at me. It was a beautiful place. A hot sun peeped through the thick mist, probably at noon.

My instincts told me that I'd been here before.
Perhaps, a long time ago.

Swiftly, I moved myself forward. Beside the tree that settled down a swing; I stopped. Feet in front of me stood a little girl, barely three or four, with ruffled Bonnie brown hair, dressed in a little velvet frock, clinging to the swing and swaying it to and fro.

She looked cute and playful.

"Hello Sweetie," I tried to touch her head, but sadly my virtual hands dissolved right through her. She acted as if she couldn't see me beside her.

Just then, a small boy ran towards the tree and sat beneath it. He was shorter than the girl, with toddler like toes that peeked out from his sandals. Settling down beneath the tree, he rubbed his jet black hair to the side and meekly took the Ukulele that was kept there.

"Do you know how to play?" The girl asks as she gets down from the swing and joins the boy.

"Aye, aye," he says, blowing his little nose.

"Will you play my favorite song?"

The boy nods, shyly.

"What is your favorite song?" He asks, tapping the strings of the instrument.

"Only papa knows it," she admits and walks away from the boy. He looks up at the girl as she runs towards the corner of the playground.

"Hey, Koala... played enough?" A man, with black hair, asks the little girl as she jumps into his arms.

"No papa! Koala wants to hear my song! Papa, sing for me!"
She pleads her father and the little boy gripping the Ukulele follows them.

"Okay, okay..." he kisses her cheek and keeps her down, where they all sit.

Then the father starts singing...

"🎶 When the stars give up and the sun falls down,
When rain floods over and sunflowers drown,
When rainbows fade color, birds forget song;
Hop into the arms where you belong.