stay

Delicate by Taylor Swift, my favorite song of the week.

Quote

After all, soulmates always end up together.
~Cecilia Ahern

Serena

My cheeks were flushing tomato red as Adrian drove me in his Audi. I didn't know how many cars he had. And I didn't want to care either. It was Adrian that was the big deal here. I hadn't quite expected that to come out of me.

A couple of hours ago we were sort of broke, and the next minute we had it all brand new. I didn't know what was more startling, but the heartbreak was worth all his love.

"So, um, what are you thinking?" Adrian's singing voice interrupted my daydreams.

I continued to look away. "Nothing."

Silence.

Okay. I can't look at him.
I'm shy as hell.

"Are you afraid?"

I considered. I was afraid for crying out aloud. I was afraid to have allowed him in. I didn't know what happened to the walls that surrounded me, I didn't know what happened to the oaths I gave, the vows I made, to never let anyone in. But with Adrian, it all felt so different.

It was if he had the key from the very first day.

The key I thought that was lost forever.
It was him.
My missing piece of soul.

"I'm not afraid," I told Adrian, "it's just... everything is so alien to me."

"Bad alien or good alien?" He teased.

I punched him. "Satan."

"Ha! I love Satan, he's a good guy." He told me, "just like my old friend, the Dracula."

"Dracula and you don't really go well, Adrian," I exclaimed, hiding my smile, "besides he's a vampire."

Adrian glanced at my direction.

My breath failed me.

"Dracula was not a vampire, Serena," he said, "he was a man that loved tomato juice and slept in a coffin because he couldn't afford a bed. And he had a pet bat too."

"I don't love tomatoes," I admitted, sheepishly.

"I don't love them too," Adrian told me, "but they are not bad."

Silence.

"Where are we going?" I asked, suddenly.

"We are going to my parents house. Remember? My parents live here."

Oops.

"Adrian, are you serious? I can't go in like this, and what will your mother think of me? What if she doesn't like me? And your father, is he strict? Please Adrian, drop me somewhere on the road. I'll be sure to find a place to sleep in!"

"My love?"

I'm going to die.

"Yes?"

Adrian glimpsed me and touched my cheek, while his right hand remained on the steering wheel.

"They are on vacation, so there's nothing to worry about, okay?"

"Okay."

***

Adrian's parents house was enormous. With its porcelain pillars holding the two floors of the big mansion, the door seemed pretty vintage. The big outer garden hosted a singing mermaid fountain at the middle of it, leaving enough space for a parked Lamborghinis,two Volvos and for the Audi we just came in.