Bully

A/N: Here's a little angst chapter for you.

Setting: During season 2 (anytime after Morgana finds out about her magic)

Description: A few knights from out of town don't like the way Merlin treats the prince/other nobles. So they decided to take it upon themselves to handle it.

Disclaimer: I don't own Merlin or it's characters.

Guinevere hummed quietly to herself as she walked through the lower town. Lady Morgana's birthday was quickly approaching, and Gwen felt as if she deserved something special. Her gaze trailed up and down the jewelry, disappointment creeping up in her. She was never going to find a decent gift!

All thoughts of her predicament left her mind when Gwen heard a sharp, yet familiar shout come from behind one of the run down homes. Her curiosity got the better of her, and Gwen went to investigate. As she rounded the corner cautiously, the sight before her nearly made her cry out.

Merlin was on the ground, curled up in a ball to protect himself from the sharp blows of two knights.

"How dare you treat us like that?" One of the men hissed. A horrible looking scar trailed down from his forehead to his lips. "You are just a lowly servant! You have no right to speak to us as if you were equal." The knight who hadn't said anything grabbed Merlin by the collar of his shirt, lifting him off the ground. He pulled out a small knife, a wicked gleam in his eye.

That was when Gwen could take it no longer.

"Stop!" She yelled, running forward. She grabbed the hand that held the knife, holding onto it with all her might. "You leave him alone!" The scarred knight chuckled at Gwen's efforts. She whimpered when he clasped onto her wrist, squeezing tight.

"And just what are you going to do about it?" He spat. Gwen glared at him, refusing to back down. Merlin opened his mouth to tell Gwen to stay out of it, but could only give a shuddering cough.

"I am the Lady Morgana's maid." There was fire in the girl's eyes. "If you do not let me and my friend go, I will go straight to her and tell her what you've done." The knight gave her a sneer, before finally letting go. Gwen sighed in relief as the pressure on her wrist was gone. The knight who had remained silent this whole time dropped Merlin unceremoniously to the ground, and followed his friend away. Merlin moaned, rolling slightly to face Gwen.

"Thank you." He muttered. Gwen winced at the bruises spreading over his body.

"What happened?" She asked, her voice a whisper. Gently, she helped him up, pulling his arm so it would rest around her shoulders. As they walked back to Gaius, Merlin recounted what had happened.

"-and because I didn't bow whenever they walked in, they thought I was being disrespectful." Merlin let out a dry chuckle that slowly faded into a cough, then a moan. "But what set them off is when I called Arthur a prat. Apparently, I shouldn't even speak to the Prince, let alone insult him."

"But Arthur- though he'd never admit it- enjoys your banter!" Gwen pointed out. Finally, they had arrived at their destination. Gwen pushes the door open, revealing a surprised Gaius.

"Well someone ought to tell them that." Merlin joked.

"What happened to you?!" Gaius rushed forward, and assisted Gwen in getting Merlin to a bed.

"He was attacked by-"

"It's nothing, Gaius." Gwen stared as Merlin cut off her explanation. Gaius raised an eyebrow at the two, but said nothing, instead moving to get some salve for the bruises forming all over Merlin's body.