Day Twenty One of Christmas

A/N: More Gwen-centric stuff because I can

Gwen blew out a long breath and attempted to still her shaking hands. She stared at herself in the mirror, lost in thought.

"Gwen?" The queen jumped at the intrusion, spinning around to face Merlin, who was standing just in the doorway. "Are you alright?" She hesitated for a moment, causing Merlin to raise an eyebrow. "Gwen, they need you in the council room in ten minutes. Unless I need to tell Arthur you can't-"

"No!" Gwen cut him off. "No, Merlin, it'll be fine." She sighed. "I'll be fine." Merlin walked over to her, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"Gwen, we've been friends for years. I can tell when something's off."

Her brown eyes met his blue ones uncertainly. "I... I'm nervous. This is my first council meeting as queen, and I'm afraid that I'll do something wrong."

Merlin gave her a reassuring smile. "Gwen, there's nothing to be nervous about. Arthur wouldn't have asked you to attend if he didn't have complete confidence in you." Gwen gave a half hearted attempt at a smile. "Besides," he leaned in closer. Between you and me, he wants you there so he doesn't have to listen to all those stuffy old men by himself." Gwen genuinely grinned this time.

"Thanks for the help, Merlin."

"Anytime, Gwen. It's what friends are for." He turned to leave, but paused as he reached the door. "And, worse case scenario, I can always disrupt the meeting. It wouldn't be the first time."

The queen's laughter followed Merlin all down the hallway.