Day Six of Christmas

A/N: Angst, with a touch of comfort.

Gwen pulled the blanket tighter around her shoulders, the howling wind overpowering the sound of the fire. After wishing Morgana good night, the maid had braved her way through the town in order to reach her small home. Morgana have kindly offered to allow Gwen to stay the night, but she couldn't let go of that uneasy feeling that still remained, even nearly a month after almost being burnt at the stake.

So, Gwen had turned down the offer, pretending not to notice the flash of emotion in her mistress's eyes. The maid had been so lost in her thoughts, she hadn't even noticed Elyan sit beside her.

"Gwen?"

"Hm?"

"I... wanted to say I'm sorry." This gained her full attention.

"Sorry for what?'

"For not being there." The flames created enough light for Gwen to see the amount of pain on her brother's face. "After our mother died, I was hurting. Every time I would look at you, even then you reminded me so much of her. And, that's no excuse of course, but it hurt. It hurt so... much, Gwennie." The nickname took her by surprise, but she didn't say anything about it. "So I left. Then, when I got the letter about father, I felt so ashamed. Maybe if I had been here-" Elyan broke off.

"There was nothing you could have done." Gwen spoke softly, placing a comforting hand on his arm. He leaned into the touch, sighing.

"Then..." Elyan continued. "Then you almost died, and I was away. I could've- I could've lost you, Gwen." His voice broke, with the tears welling up in his eyes.

"Shh, it's alright." Gwen pulled her brother into a hug, and he gladly returned it. "Elyan, please don't blame yourself. This isn't what mother or father would want. And it certainly isn't what I want."

The siblings sat in silence for a few moments, simply enjoying the comfort of one another.

"Gwen?"

"Yes Elyan?"

"Tomorrow, if the snow isn't too heavy, I'd like to go visit their graves. Together." Gwen smiled, nodding.

"Together."