The Fires of Idirsholas AU

A/N: An AU for 2x12. I'll make it Mergana since I haven't done one of those yet.

Setting: Series two episode twelve, duh

Description: What if Merlin had saved Morgana from the knight of Medhir with magic?

Disclaimer: I don't own Merlin or its characters

       "Merlin, help me!" Morgana desperately cried, scrambling backwards as the knight of Medhir advanced towards her. Merlin clenched his jaw, pulling the king further back.

       If he let the knight kill Morgana, he could keep Arthur safe.

        If he let the knight kill Morgana, he would never forgive himself.

        Merlin thrust his hand towards the knight, his eyes flashing gold as the knight flew backwards. Morgana stared for a moment, before turning to Merlin in shock.

        "You- you have magic!" She accused. Merlin glanced down at Uther, who was still fast asleep.

        "Yes." The word was quiet, and Merlin refused to meet her gaze. "Please don't tell Arthur." Morgana opened her mouth to say something, but Arthur rushed towards them, eyes wide at the sight of the Medhir knight.

        "Morgana, did you do this?" He gestured to the form that was starting to stir. The group took off running.

         "No-" Morgana huffed, "No, it was Merlin." Merlin blanched when she spoke. Was Morgana really going to reveal his secret? "The knight nearly had me, but Merlin jumped in front of me and pushed him." They reached the throne room, and Merlin nearly sagged in relief, shooting Morgana a grateful smile. Arthur raised an eyebrow.

       "Merlin." He said, his voice doubtful. Merlin sent him an offended look.

        "I carry around all your armor, you prat. Do you know how heavy that is?" Morgana smiled at the exchange, before glancing worriedly at the doors.

➿➿Ok so I'm too lazy to write this part just imagine the scene where Arthur leaves and now Merlin and Morgana are in the throne room alone together➿➿

        Merlin nervously fingered the vial of poison in his jacket pocket. Morgana looked at him curiously.

        "So you have magic?" He seemed to flinch at her voice. "Why didn't you tell me?" Merlin sighed, letting his arms drop to his side.

         "I never really found the right way to say it." He said slowly. Merlin paused, and began to pace nervously. "Morgana, there's something... something else I need to tell you." She waited expectantly as Merlin fell back into nervous silence.

         "Well?"

         "You're the reason everyone is sleeping!" He blurted out. Morgana's eyes widened, and she seemed to shrink back.

        "What?" Morgana's voice shook. "That's absurd! How could I cause all this?"

         "When was the last time you spoke with Morgause?" His question was surprising.

         "How do you know about that?"

         "It doesn't matter right now, I just need you to tell me!" Merlin raised his voice, making Morgana flinch slightly. "Sorry." He mumbled. Morgana seemed to debate with herself for a moment, before finally answering.