Day Twenty Three of Christmas

A/N: anyways this is short too unfortunately cause I SUCK

"So, did you get Merlin anything?" Arthur froze, looking up from his papers at Gwen.

"Why would I get him anything?"

Gwen sighed, bringing a hand up to rub her eyes. "The winter holiday?"

"I still fail to see why I would get Merlin anything."

"Arthur."

"Guinevere, I already put up with him all the time, isn't that enough of a gift?" The stern look the queen gave her king made him clear his throat, unable to meet her eyes. "I... grace him with my presence."

"Arthur!"

"Guinevere!" The queen leaned close to him, poking her finger into his chest.

"Arthur Pendragon, if you don't put some real thought into this, I will personally make sure cook delays Merlin so that your breakfast is cold for the next month." Fear washed over Arthur's face as he stared at the determined expression of his wife, and he knew that there was only one way to spare his life.

"Yes, my love."

Late that evening, when Merlin walked into his room, exhausted from both chores, and saving Camelot from some random sorcerer who's name he didn't care to remember, didn't even notice the small item lying on his pillow.

With a sigh, he collapsed on his bed, and jumped right back up when he felt a lump under his head. His first thought was that it was a magical poultice of some sort- after all, it wouldn't be the first time. But to his surprise, it was a messily wrapped package with a note next to it.

Merlin,
Because I am such a gracious and good king, I have decided to bestow a gift upon you. No need to thank me.
Really, no need.
Never mention this to me or anyone else.
Regards,
-King Arthur

Merlin rolled his eyes as he set the paper down, before picking up the package. He quickly tore it open, a grin spreading across his face as he examined the gift.

-

The next day, Merlin happily wore a red neckerchief that bore the Pendragon crest in gold stitching.

And was all too happy to explain where he got it from when Gwaine asked, much to Arthur's horror.