Parents

A/N: Just some fluff and crack

Setting: Just before series four

Description: The knights of the Round Table are like children, and, let's face it, Merlin and Arthur are the exasperated parents.

Disclaimer: I don't own Merlin or it's characters or even the whole plot. I'm borrowing the idea from someone else.

Fingers drummed against the table, blue eyes stared at the five Knights standing before him, his five bruised and drunk Knights, the prince stayed silent just to watch them squirm a bit before sighing.

It was the kind of sigh that told everyone in the room that he was going to regret what he was about to ask next, but was going to push on anyway.

"What happened?" Arthur Pendragon asked from where he sat at his table. A few uneasy glances went back and forth the men, before Leon hesitantly stepped forward.

"It was Gwaine's fault." stated Leon, pointing an accusing finger at the man.

"It was not!" Gwaine retorted, and crossed his arms as he glared at the man. Arthur sighed once more, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"It's always your fault!" this came from Elyan.

"No it's... alright, maybe it is, but this time it wasn't!"

Arthur sent an exasperated look towards Merlin. The manservant merely grinned back in amusement as his five Knights started bickering with each other.

"Enough!" Arthur ordered, silencing them, "I don't care whose fault it is" he then said, "What happened today was a disgrace to the Knight's code and Camelot, as such you will be punished, seven days in the dungeon. Maybe you'll think of this next time you lot decide to go out and get drunk!"

"Oh, come on!" Gwaine protested. He glared at Arthur, but the prince refused to back down.

"That hardly seems fair." mumbled Percival, "Seeing how we didn't even start it."

"My decision is final" Arthur said, his tone firm. Shoulders sagged as the knights realized that he was not going to relent.

"Don't you think you're being a little harsh Arthur?" Arthur turned to his servant with a raised brow, and not for the first time questioned the sanity of Merlin.

"It wasn't like they went on a rampage" Merlin said, gesturing the the knights. "No one was seriously hurt. A bit bruised, but that's it."

"So what you want me to just give them a slap on the wrist and send them on their way?"

"I like that idea."

"Shut up Gwaine." The knight smirked in response to the king's command, but still fell silent.

"No, but throwing them in the dungeons seems a bit overdone don't you think? After all, they were merely defending themselves."

"If I wanted your opinion Merlin, I would have asked for it".

"I thought you liked my opinions." Merlin pouted, though his lips tugged with a slight smile. Arthur glared at him, not finding the situation all that amusing.

"And what gave you that idea? And don't pout, you look ridiculous."

"It's better than being a Dollop head"

"Again with that word, what does it even mean!?"

"Like I told you, in two words, Prince Arthur"

"You know I could—"

"Excuse me, Mother, Father." interrupted Gwaine. Arthur didn't even have to look at the knight to know there was a massive, self-satisfied smile on his face. "Are we still going to the dungeons?"

The two bickering young men turned to the five Knights who had been watching with amused expression, though now they had sat down, Leon, Elyan and Percival in chairs, Gwaine and Lancelot in Arthur's bed, the most noble of Knights was curled up on the bed asleep, happily and softly snoring. The pain draught Gaius had given him before they arrived at their Prince's chambers finally taking effect.

"No." said Merlin before Arthur could speak, "You aren't going to the dungeons."

"Wait a minute—" Arthur sputtered angrily, only to be interrupted again by his manservant.

"You will be cleaning out the stables for one week" Merlin continued on, reveling in the redness of the prince's face.

"You can't—"

"Two weeks of night patrols."

"I'm the Pri—"

"And you are banned from the Taverns, and any kind of ale, wine, pickled eggs, or mead for three weeks."

"MERLIN!"

"Aw, come on!" The protests of Arthur and Gwaine were ignored by Merlin as he continued on, unfazed by the irritated groans.

"And you will apologize to the pub owner for destroying his property, starting today. Understood?" To the amazement of the Prince, all four of his Knights nodded.

"Yes, Merlin" the four chorused passively. Pleased, Merlin nodded. Arthur gaped, his mind scrambling to process what had just happened. A part of him wondered if the knights' drunkenness had anything to do with their complacency.

"You all should get some sleep." Merlin said, and the men left without a word. Percival gave the sleeping Lancelot a curious glance, and Merlin waved his hand dismissively. "I'll deal with him." Arthur was still sitting in his chair, his mouth hanging open.

"How?" The prince muttered.

"I think that went well" Merlin then said cheerfully, ignoring Arthur's muttered question, before going over to the bed. The servant took off the Knight's boots before tucking him, Merlin then went about picking up the dirty clothes that needed washing.

"I'll be back with your dinner soon." Merlin said as he left, "And don't wake up Lancelot. He deserves the rest." He paused in the doorway for a moment, giving Arthur a glare before the prince could protest. "After all, he was the only knight who tried to put a stop to all the chaos."

When the door closed shut, Arthur was left alone with Lancelot's soft snores, and his thoughts. Arthur wondered at what point he had lost the authority over his Knights. He also wondered where he lost said authority, and as he began to mull over past incidents, he wondered if he'd even had the actual authority to begin with.

"How in the world did I miss that?" the Prince asked the sleeping Lancelot.

Lancelot merely snorted in his sleep.