Fate PT. 2

A/N: So, yeah I got asked to do a continuation of the other "Fate" one shot. Mergana if you squint.

Setting: same as the last one. It kind jumps around in time, but the first section takes place mid season three.

Description: Whatever happens to Merlin after disappearing in the flames in the first part.

Disclaimer: Obviously I do not own Merlin or its characters.

The banging of drums echoed in Merlin's head as he was marched to the pyre. The shackles on his wrists clanged when he walked. The guards unceremoniously strapped Merlin to the pyre, and Merlin's gaze swept over the crowd sadly.

Gwen was sobbing into Gaius's arms as Uther raised his hand, preparing to let the torch fall. Merlin had managed to convince Gaius to deny knowing about Merlin's magic in order to save his life. Uther ate up the lie, eager to place more blame on Merlin.

Tears fell down Gaius's face as he watched Merlin stand there bravely. Everything seemed to slow for Merlin as Uther's hand dropped, signaling for the torch to fall.

Desperately, Merlin searched for Arthur's gaze, his shoulders sagging in relief when he noticed the prince's face through a window in the cells. Heat from the flames pelted Merlin as tears fell down his own cheeks. The young warlock gave Arthur one last smile before the flames overtook him. His world flashed white.

Then everything faded to black.

➿➿➿➿➿

"-lin!" Merlin groaned. The blackness was too thick, too overwhelming. "Merlin!" Panting, Merlin bolted upwards, his vision slowly clearing. "Merlin, you need to focus!" The feminine voice seemed familiar. A face came into view.

"Freya?" Merlin's voice cracked. Freya nodded, a smile spreading across her face.

"Yes, Merlin. It's me." Merlin lunged forward, grabbing her in a tight hug. She laughed, returning the embrace warmly.

"How?"

"You died, Merlin." Her voice became sad with the words. Merlin gaped, his brain unable to quite understand what she just said.

"I- what?" Freya smiled softly, amused.

"You were burned. By Uther." She paused, as if thinking. "Well, I suppose die isn't the right way to describe it. You spent a long time in the space between life and death after Uther had you executed."

"But- my destiny- I'm supposed to protect Arthur!"

"And that's why we're here." Freya gestured around her. Merlin turned his head, recognizing the Lake of Avalon. "Your time has not yet come. Arthur will need your help to unite the land of Albion. That is why I have brought you back. It took me a long time to do so, but I finally managed." Merlin stared at the ground for a moment, before clearing his throat.

"You can't come back with me, can you?" The question wasn't really a question. Merlin already knew the answer. Freya shook her had sadly.

"I'm afraid not, my love." Her voice was filled with regret. "But one day, your time will come, and we will be together again." The silence between them was heavy.

"How long has it been?" Merlin asked quietly.

"Around four years."

       "Four years?!" He yelped. Freya nodded.

       "Your death changed many things, Merlin. Morgana and Morgause overthrew Uther not long no after your death." Merlin paled. "No, no! They gave the throne over to Arthur, and imprisoned Uther." Merlin's shoulder sagged in relief, and he smiled.

       "Morgana really did live up to her promise." He muttered to himself. Merlin gestured for Freya to continue after realizing he'd interrupted her.

       "Arthur's first royal decree was to make magic legal again, in your memory. Not long after, he announced that any man could become a knight. Lancelot and Gwaine were the ones to inspire that." Merlin beamed at the thought of Lancelot being able to achieve his dream. "After nearly a year of ruling, Arthur and Guinevere were engaged and married. And, more recently, they had a child." Merlin gaped, running a hand through his hair. It was a lot to take in. "Today they present their son to Camelot." Freya's voice suddenly became muffled, as if underwater.

       "You're leaving." Merlin mumbled. Freya nodded, and gently kissed Merlin's forehead.

       "I love you, Merlin." She said with a smile. "Now go fulfill your destiny." Slowly, she was vanishing into thin air.

      "I love you too." Merlin called out just before she vanished completely. After a moment of silence, he stood.

       Time to go home.

➿➿➿➿➿

       "-Merlin Pendragon! Prince of Camelot!" Arthur's words could be heard from behind the door, and Merlin smiled. Cheers echoed from the crowd of people that had gathered. Merlin took a deep breath, before swinging the doors open.

The cheers all silenced as Merlin walked in, a grin on his face.

"Aw, you named him after me?" Merlin's voice seems to echo through the room.

        "Merlin?!" Arthur's voice was the loudest of the shouts. The king rushed forward, his eyes wide.

       "Hey, dollop head." Arthur nearly collapsed in shock at the words, they were so... Merlin. He pulled Merlin into a hug, almost expecting him to fade away.

        "You're- you're really here." Arthur whispered, gripping tight onto Merlin's shoulder, as if letting go would make this disappear. "But I saw you! You were burned at the stake!" Merlin shrugged, giving an awkward smile, not able to really explain it himself. Everyone was recovering from their shock, and they all surged towards Merlin.

       Gwen got there first, her son still in her hands. Merlin smiled softly at the infant, pulling Gwen into a side hug in order to not squash little Merlin. Gwaine was next, placing his hands on Merlin's shoulder, a grin spread wide on his face. Lancelot came from behind him, and berated his friend for being gone for so long.

       "I'll be sure to not die next time." Merlin replied with a grin. Suddenly, the people parted, and Morgana walked forward. She hesitantly stopped in front of the warlock, her gaze on the ground.

        "Merlin, I-"

       "Thank you." Morgana stared at him, bewildered by his statement.

       "Thank you?"

       "You kept your promise." A smile that matched Merlin's was on her face now. Gwaine wiggled his eyebrows suggestively at the two, and both turned bright red. Merlin turned, admiring the people surrounding him.

       He was home; the place fate had lead him to.

Anyways that sucked so sorry y'all. But at least I explained what happened to Merlin. Also, just to be clear, his destiny still isn't fulfilled so that's why he came back. I hope you enjoyed this oneshot!
-InkFanatic