Flowers

A/N: Meh more angst and Freylin cause why not. (Ps: kinda short)

Setting: Between series 2 and 3

Description: In which Merlin is caught taking some flowers and Arthur demands to meet whoever they're for but Merlin doesn't know how to say he's taking them to a grave

Disclaimer: I don't own Merlin or it's beautiful characters. Just this horrible plot.

Merlin hummed quietly to himself, picking another flower from the ground. He inspected it, before nodding in approval. After adding it to his current pile, Merlin sighed. He needed to hurry before Arthur needed him again.

Arthur watched as Merlin picked flowers, creating a fairly nice bouquet. He stood far back enough that Merlin couldn't see him, and stared as Merlin walked out of Camelot.

"What is he doing?" He muttered to himself. Carefully, Arthur followed, making sure to stay out of Merlin's sight. Arthur tromped through the woods after Merlin for several minutes, nearly losing his manservant twice in the process. After ten minuets of walking, Arthur was nearly ready to give up.

Suddenly, Merlin stopped in his tracks, slowly turning around.

"Who's there?" The manservant called out, his hand up. Arthur rolled his eyes, scoffing.

"What do you think you're going to do, Merlin?" Merlin nearly jumped in surprise at Arthur's loud voice. He lowered his hand, glaring as Arthur closed the distance between them.

"Well, wouldn't you like to know?" Merlin murmured angrily. Arthur either didn't hear it, or chose to ignore it.

"So, Merlin," Arthur eyed the flowers in his hands. "Who are you taking those to?" Merlin glanced down, as if just now realizing what he was holding.

"Ah. Those." His brain scrambled for an excuse. "No one, sire. Well, not 'no one' but it's not what you think. Just an old patient of Gaius's, and this is a get well present." Arthur quirked an eyebrow, not buying the excuse.

"Yes, well, I'd like to meet this... patient." Arthur had a smirk on his lips. Merlin grimaced.

He wasn't going to get out of his one.

Resigned to his fate, Merlin motioned for Arthur to follow him as he continued his trek through the woods.

"So what's she like?" Arthur couldn't stand the silence any longer,

"Beautiful. Kind. Selfless." Merlin spoke earnestly. He managed to keep the quiver out of his voice as he began to describe Freya. "She has the most beautiful brown eyes, I feel like I could get lost in them." Arthur chuckled, breaking Merlin out of his trance.

"She sounds special." Merlin nodded, hiding the pain in his eyes.

"She is." Merlin suddenly stopped, gesturing to the lake next to them. "We're here." Arthur furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. He had been expecting a house. Instead, Merlin walked to the shores, before settling down on the sand. Arthur stood back, watching curiously. "Hey, Freya." Merlin said softly. He played with the bouquet in his hand, glancing nervously at Arthur. "I miss you." Arthur sucked in a breath, feeling like an idiot.

This wasn't an ordinary visit.

This was a grave.

"I brought you some flowers. I wanted to bring some strawberries, but I didn't get the chance." Merlin gently placed the flowers at the edge of the water, before letting out a sigh.

Arthur wanted to kick himself. He had insisted on coming, and instead was intruding on Merlin's private life. Quietly, he walked over to Merlin, sitting down next to him.

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault." Merlin's voice cracked, and Arthur couldn't help but like the words had a deeper meaning.

"She was lucky to have you." Arthur went silent after he said that. The two stared out at the peaceful lake, neither of them speaking.

It was the least Arthur could do for his friend.