Crash and Burn

A/N/ So, angst and Freylin. My favorite!

Setting: Modern AU

Description: A modern version of Freya's death. (Which is still caused by Arthur.)

Disclaimer: I don't own Merlin or Freya.

          "I just wanted to say thanks again for giving me a ride." Freya told Arthur as he slid into his expensive car. Being the son of a millionaire had its benefits. "I know we don't really know each other all that well." Arthur shrugged, starting the engine.

           "I owe Merlin a favor anyway." He replied. "I still can't believe Merlin got a hot date." Freya giggled, and turned to enjoy the view of the countryside as Arthur drove along.

            "Well, I think he's- LOOK OUT!" Freya suddenly screamed. Arthur turned just in time to see a semi truck barreling towards the sports car. He slammed on his brakes, but it was too late. Everything went dark as soon as the truck made contact.

➿➿➿➿➿

          Merlin had been at work when he got the call on his cell. The words "Freya", "Arthur", and "accident" could be heard over the line. Everything else blurred together as he took off running to his car, his hands shaking as he drove.

          He burst into the hospital, barely taking time to ask where they were being kept. Merlin could barely breath when he found his mother, Gwen, and Uther waiting expectantly.

           "Arthur?" Merlin asked, staring questioningly at the three.

           "He'll be alright." Gwen assured him. She swiped at tears that were still falling down her face, and Merlin felt his breath hitch.

           "Freya?" Merlin's voice cracked, and Hunith simply shook her head. Tears fell faster down Gwen's face.

         Merlin's world stopped.

         "No." He whispered. "No no no no no NO!" Merlin fell to his knees, leaning against the wall. Hot tears ran down his face as he struggled to breath. Merlin vaguely registered the feeling of his mother's arms wrapping around him, and Gwen's hand on his shoulder. Merlin's body shook with silent sobs, and those who passed gave him pitying glances. Even Uther felt the boy's pain.

           Merlin allowed the two woman to guide him to a car., the tears never stopping as he went.

           "Merlin." Hunith said gently. "Merlin, do you want to go home?" Merlin barely nodded, not even looking at her. Gwen felt her heart break at the mournful expression on his face.

           "I can stay at his house." Gwen suggested quietly. "So he isn't alone." Hunith gave her a grateful smile.

         The next thing Merlin knew, he was in his apartment, with Gwen settling on the couch next to him. He began to sob again as she wrapped her arms around his frame, and tears streamed down her face once more.

          Gwen felt her breath catch as Merlin reached into his back pocket, and pulled out a small, velvet box.

"We had a date tonight." He choked out, opening it. A simple, yet beautiful ring sat inside. "We- we were going to her favorite lake." Gwen realized what he meant.

He was going to propose to Freya.

"Oh, Merlin." Gwen pulled him into another hug, and he dissolved into sobs once more.

It was going to be a long night,

➿➿➿➿➿

           Arthur groaned, pain shooting through him as he shifted. Carefully, he opened his eyes, squinting at the brightness of the room. He turned his head to see his father sitting in a chair, dozed off. Gwen was standing in a corner, her eyes red and puffy.

           "Gwen?" Arthur muttered, and the girl rushed over, placing a gentle hand on his arm. "Wha- what happened?" His entire body ached as he spoke, and suddenly, his father was there.

"Arthur, you've been out for nearly a week." Uther began, his tone relieved. "What do you remember?" Arthur scrunched his eyebrows together as he thought for a moment.

"I was in my car... and..." he paused, swallowing. "There was a truck that ran into me." Arthur glanced at Gwen, who had tears welling up in her eyes. "What?"

"You..." Uther said hesitantly. "Arthur, you weren't the only one in the car." Arthur gasped, wincing when the movement brought a new wave of pain.

"Who?" A horrible thought crossed his mind. "It wasn't Merlin, was it?!" That would explain Gwen's tears. Arthur relaxed when she shook her head, but still couldn't calm his breathing.

"It- it was Freya." Gwen got the words out, a few tears falling down her cheeks. Arthur sucked in a breath as he placed the name.

"Merlin's girlfriend? Is she okay?" Arthur leaned his head back when Gwen shook her head.

"She died on impact." Uther broke in. Arthur felt dread settle in his gut.

"I'm so sorry, Merlin." He whispered.

Would Merlin ever forgive him?

Ok, short and bitter. PS: Gwen and Freya were friends in this. Just so ya know,