Promise

A/N: A little bit of Freylin, a little bit of angst, a lot of sucky writing.

Setting: Dunno. Let's say early season five.

Description: Arthur and some of the knights accompany Gwen on a visit to her father's grave when they get attacked. When Merlin is injured, Freya gets a chance to repay him for his kindness.

Disclaimer: I don't own Merlin or its characters.

Arthur placed a comforting arm around his wife's shoulders. She gave him a small, sad smile in return, before kneeling at her father's grave. Gwen gently placed some flowers that she had picked on the ground.

"He would be proud of you." Arthur murmured. The queen nodded, wiping away the tears that had begun to form. Even after all these years, her father's death was still painful. But now, Gwen had others to comfort her. She had a wonderful husband, and a supportive brother to help her.

"It's a shame Elyan could not join us this time." She said quietly. "I'll have to bring him here when I can." Arthur took her hand in his, and lead her away to where Merlin, Gwaine, and Percival were waiting with the horses. The group set off homeward as night was beginning to fall.

"-so then she slapped me." Gwaine finished his story, sending the others into fits of laughter. The forest around them was quiet as the rode on.

"I think you deserved it that time, Gwaine." Merlin told him once he'd gotten his breath back.

"Aye, maybe I did." The knight replied. He opened his mouth to say something else, but was cut off by an arrow that cut through the air, flying past him. As they stood in shock, more arrows flew towards them, hitting each horse, one by one. Men came running through the trees, swords raised.

"Bandits!" Arthur yelled, drawing his sword. "Protect Guinevere!" Merlin ran towards the queen, helping her off the ground where her horse had fallen. He pulled Gwen away as the knights covered their escape. She wanted to protest, but thought better of it when she noticed the overwhelming number of bandits emerging from the darkness. The two ran, soon disappearing from Arthur's sight. The king motioned for Gwaine and Percival to follow him, and they pursued Merlin and Gwen, with the bandits on their heels.

"Hurry Gwen!" Merlin urged, his hand holding tight onto hers.

"I'm trying!" She shot back, using her free hand to hold up her dress. Together, they ran through the forest, stumbling over tree roots and start branches. "Merlin!" Suddenly Gwen fell to the ground. Merlin came to a screeching halt, noticing that her dress that was caught on a branch. Quickly, he ripped it, and helped the queen to her feet.

"We have to hurry- look out!" Merlin lunged at Gwen, pushing her to the ground. She looked up at him, as he stood there, frozen.

"Merlin?" Gwen whispered.

"Tell- tell Arthur to get to the lake." He croaked. Merlin then gave her a small smile before falling to the ground. "Merlin!" She shrieked, crawling over to her friend. Merlin had an arrow protruding from his back. Gwen scanned the forest, realizing that the archer may still be out there. She noticed a man lying unconscious on the forest floor, a tree branch next to his head. "Merlin, you're going to be alright." Gwen whispered, her voice shaking. She tensed when she heard a voice coming from farther out. Hope suddenly flooded Gwen when she recognized the voice."Arthur?" She called out. "Arthur, please come quickly!"