Take His Place

A/N: Pain. That's it.

Setting: During the series finale Diamond of the Day PT 2

Description: Merlin always said he would do anything to save Arthur.

Disclaimer: I don't own Merlin, because if I did everything would have ended happily ever after.

"Just... just hold me. Please." Arthur murmured, putting as much strength as he could into the words. Merlin trembled as he settled on the ground with the king, tears welling up in his eyes. "I finally understand now. Everything you've done..." Arthur looked up at Merlin. "Everything you've done, has been for Camelot. For me."

"You're saying goodbye." Merlin choked out, tears falling as he tried to stop them. Arthur smiled faintly, placing a hand on the back of Merlin's head.

"No." Arthur winced as a new wave of pain spread through him. He didn't have much time left. "There's something I need to tell you, something I've never said to you before." The king could feel the life leaving him. "Thank you."

Arthur's world faded to nothing.

➿➿➿➿➿

"No. No no no no no!" Merlin whispered to himself. He bit back the sobs, and tears streamed down his face as he looked to the skies, and began to shout.

           "O drakon, e male so ftengometta tesd'hup'anankes!" The words to summon Kilgarrah were choked and desperate. It didn't take to long, and soon the Great Dragon had arrived, a hint of pity in his gaze when he saw the limp form in Arthur's arms. The warlock begged the dragon to take the two men to the lake.

           Kilgarrah didn't have the heart to decline Merlin's request.

➿➿➿➿➿

            "I can't lose him!" Merlin shouted at the dragon, barely holding the weight of Arthur. "He's my friend!" Kilgarrah shook his head sadly, and Merlin nearly collapsed from grief. The tears still hadn't stopped, and Merlin shook with the overwhelming emotions that swirled inside him. "There has to be a way to save him." He said weakly. Kilgarrah hesitated, and that was all the proof Merlin needed. "So there is a way?"

            "Yes, but-"

           "I command you to tell me!" Merlin roared, regret surging through him at the sight of Kilgarrah's hurt look. But Merlin had no time for regret. He had to save Arthur.

           "Very well." Kilgarrah sighed, a slight puff of smoke escaping his lips as he did so. "The high priestess Nimueh. If you were to summon her, you could bargain for Arthur's life." Merlin knew what the price of the bargain would be. He nodded, and Kilgarrah gave him the spell necessary for the summoning.

            Carefully, Merlin laid Arthur on the ground, and began the process. Soon, Nimueh emerged from the lake, a self satisfied grin on her face.

           "So, Merlin. You needed me after all." She glanced down at the body of Arthur. "And I see not much has changed, even after all these years."

           "Shut up!" Merlin hissed. His tone softened when his eyes lingered on the blank expression of Arthur. "Can you heal him?" Nimueh nodded, a slight smirk on her lips.

           "Are you willing to pay the price?"

          "My life for Arthur's." He replied without hesitation. "I will take his place." Nimueh waved her hand, and suddenly, the Cup of Life was in her hand. A slight sense of Deja Vu rose in Merlin, and he might have laughed at the situation had it not been so serious. Nimueh began her spell, walking over to the lake to fill the Cup. Once it was full, she finished chanting, and handed the Cup over to Merlin. Her eyes flashed, perhaps in pity, and she spoke once more.