What's In A Name?

A/N: Reveal. Random. Mentions of Freylin, but are you really surprised at this point?

Setting: Between series 4 and 5

Description: Arthur, Merlin, and the knights are trapped. In order to get out, they must state their names and titles. Turns out, Merlin has a lot of those.

Disclaimer: I don't even really own the plot because I'm basing this loosely off of another fic I saw.

Merlin stared at the floating woman before them, the woman that was blocking their exit. The doors they had entered through had slammed shut and bolted themselves.

"What do you want?" Arthur demanded, pointing his sword towards the woman. She smiled, unfazed by the sword.

"It's not about what I want." Her voice was muffled when she spoke, her pale lips barely moving. "It's about what the magic of this place wants."

"And what would that be?" Elyan asked.

"Your names."

"That's it?" Leon's tone was doubtful, like he was expecting a trap. The woman paused, placing a wispy hand on her chin. Uncomfortable silence sat heavily for a moment, before the woman began to speak once more.

"Well, names... and titles." She looked at Merlin when she said this, and he tensed. "You must say them quickly," as she spoke the words, the walls began to close in, slowly but steadily making their way to crush the knights of Camelot. "Or you will perish here." Eyes wide, Arthur stepped forward, trying to ignore the closing walls.

"Arthur Pendragon, king of Camelot." The woman smiled, but shook her head. "That's my name and title!" Arthur said indignantly. Merlin suddenly realized what she wanted, and stepped forward to whisper in Arthur's ear.

"Tell her you're the Once and Future King." Arthur turned to stare at Merlin, his eyebrows raised. "Just do it, Arthur!"

"The Once and Future King!" Arthur blurted out. "Whatever that means." He added the last part under his breath. The woman nodded, turning her gaze towards Percival. "You are definitely going to explain this later." Arthur hissed to his manservant as Percival announced himself. Elyan was next, and his body shifted nervously as the walls came closer, the only space left would have allowed Percival to lay down and press his head and feet against the walls.

"Sir Gwaine, knight of Camelot." Gwaine stated, and the woman shook her head once more.

"There is something you are hiding, Sir Knight." She said with a smug tone. Gwaine paled slightly, shaking his head.

"Gwaine, I'm sorry, but we don't have time for this!" Merlin berated, and Gwaine sighed. With a resigned tone, he admitted to his noble title, earning a few shocked stares from the other knights. But the walls, which had gotten to the point where Merlin couldn't even spread his arms, forced them to divide their attention.

"Come on, Merlin! Tell her your name already!" Arthur yelled, grunting as he used his body to slow down the walls. The other knights did the same, though didn't make much difference. Merlin blanched, staring at the woman.

"Merlin. Servant to King Arthur." He hoped that was enough.

It wasn't. Wonderful.

"All your titles." She told him, that same smile still on her face.

"Merlin doesn't have any titles!" Leon protested, groaning as the walls pressed on. With a resigned sigh, Merlin turned to Arthur.

"I didn't want you to find out this way."

"What are you talking about, Merlin?!" Arthur demanded. Merlin turned back to the woman, with an irritated expression on his face.

"Emrys. If you want titles, I don't know of many. Guardian of the Once and Future King." Another nervous glance was shot towards Arthur. "Warlock." Merlin ignored the hurt gasps. He knew that if the walls hadn't been so close, swords would be drawn and pointing at him. "The Last Dragonlord." He waved a dismissive hand towards the knights who were demanding answers. He was committed now.

"What?!"

"Go on." The woman dismissed the knights shouts with a wave of her hand, her eyes focused on Merlin. Merlin furrowed his brow, running the names through his mind.

"High Lord of the Druids. Slayer of the Questing Beast." Percival's mouth was hanging open. "Defender of Albion." Merlin was pretty sure Leon was having a stroke of some sort. "Master of the Elements. Master of Life and Death." Elyan inched back along the wall. "Consort- shut up, Gwaine. Consort to Freya, the Lady of the Lake."

"You're married?!" Arthur shouted, making Merlin snort.

"That's what you got out of all that, Sire?" He asked, before turning to the woman. "There are more?" Merlin paused, and the woman made a 'keep going' motion with her hand. "What else is there?!" Merlin shouted angrily.

"You have done many things in your life, Emrys. Now is the time to take credit for them." The walls had nearly slowed to a stop, but they still inched closer every so often.

"What if I call the Great Dragon?" Merlin asked, unspoken threats lacing his words. The woman shrugged.

"Even he could not stop the magic of this place." Merlin ran his hand through his hair, letting out a frustrated growl.

"Dragoon the Great! Brother of the Great Dragon Kilgarrah, son of Hunith and Balinor! Destroyer of Nimueh, Conquerer of Cornelius Sigan. Vanquisher of the High Priestess Morgause, Killer of the undead!" Merlin was shouting now, and with each of the titles, the knights and Arthur seemed to flinch.

"You are almost done." The woman stated. The walls creaked and groaned as they moved once more.

"Merlin, mate, hurry up!" Gwaine grunted, breathing heavily as he pressed up against the walls.

"The prophesied immortal." Merlin's voice was quiet this time. "The most powerful sorcerer to walk the earth."

"Just when it couldn't get any worse." Arthur muttered, glaring at Merlin. The warlock flinched, and turned back to the woman. She smiled, and waved her hand. The walls stopped closing in, but didn't move back.

"There is still one more thing that you are missing. The most important title that you have." Merlin would have paced if he could have. His thought were racing as he racked his brain for an answer. Suddenly, he smiled, looking up at her.

"Friend of Arthur Pendragon." Merlin said with a smile. The woman nodded, satisfied with his answer.

"Well done." The walls retracted with a wave of her hand, and she began to fade from sight. "Good luck, Emrys." She faded completely, leaving Merlin alone with the knights. Arthur stalked forward, glaring at Merlin, who raised his hands in surrender.

"Arthur, I-" the king him off with a raised hand.

"How could you not tell me you were married?" The king demanded.

"Really?" Merlin asked incredulously. Arthur quirked an eyebrow.

"Yes, yes, I'll want to know all about that other stuff, but not until you tell me how you managed to get a wife!"