Day Nineteen of Christmas

A/N: I dunno why I even wrote this ¯\_()_/¯

Arthur grumbled quietly to himself as he paced around his chambers. Gwen observed him in her mirror as she finished getting ready.

"Where is that fool of a servant?" Arthur finally spoke, throwing his hands up in the air. Gwen sighed and turned to face him. The king looked haggard and worn, his blond hair unkempt and dark bags under his eyes.

"Arthur, you need to cut him some slack." Gwen reprimanded. "You're holding him to standards he could never match."

Arthur ran his hands through his hair in defeat. "As always, you're right, Guinevere. I... tonight is important. Tonight is for- for him." Gwen placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I feel like there's no way to make up for all the wrongs I've done."

"Arthur." He jumped at her angry tone. "You don't have to make up for anything. I know that, your knights know that, he knew that." Gwen's expression softened. "What you're doing now, is not just for him. It's for your entire kingdom." The queen smiled, and Arthur felt warmth radiate through his chest. "Besides, what would Merlin say if he were to see you like this?"

"Probably something wise. Then he would trip over air and make a fool of himself." Arthur grinned fondly as Gwen laughed. The room felt light in a way that it hadn't felt in over a year.

Suddenly, a quiet knock interrupted the two royals. The door creaked open, revealing Gwaine.

The knight gave them a slight nod. "It's time." 

Arthur nodded, squeezing Guinevere's hand as they walked to the balcony that overlooked the courtyard.

His eyes scanned the mass of people that had gathered there. He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath before speaking.

"My friends. Today, we gather in memory of a good man. Merlin was my best friend- my brother, even in times when I did not deserve it. And it is because of him that today I can stand before you all. It is because of him that I can happily announce that magic is once again legal."