01 || Harley Merlyn 👩🏻

•••

•••

FIVE YEARS AGO

The sun was shining bright over head, beating down on the top of my head and against my skin and warming me completely. It was oddly hot for it being about mid October, but I was thankful for it. Perfect weather for a goodbye.

Today was the day my best friend would be heading out on the Queen's Gambit with his father and he wouldn't be back for a whole month. Oliver, my brother Tommy, and I were the terrible trio. We were always seen together despite me being three years younger than my older brother, we still did everything together. From partying to bailing each other out of jail. Although that was more Tommy bailing Oliver and I out of jail when one of our pranks went a little too far.

Although some of my favorite memories with the Queen were sitting in that holding cell waiting for Tommy to come get us before our parents found out.

I made my way up the dock, smiling when I saw Robert Queen - the man who had been like a second father to me my whole life. "Ah, Harleen, come to see us off?"

"I wouldn't miss this for the world Mr. Queen."

"How many times do I have to tell you; call me, 'Robert'."

I opened my mouth to respond, but a familiar voice cut me off. "She's too much of a Goody-goody. You'll never get her to drop the formalities, trust me, I've tried." I turned narrowed eyes on the younger Queen for the nickname, but as soon as I saw that charming smile on his lips, I couldn't help the one that broke across my face. "Hey, there, Angel face."

"Ollie!" I ran over to him instantly, like gravity pulling an Apple down to the earth. There was no stopping. I flung my arms around his shoulders and I felt his arms snake around my waist as he lifted me off the ground. I giggled at his enthusiasm, waiting for him to set me down on the ground fully before pulling back. "You excited."

"Yeah, wish you were coming with me though."

"Me too." Oliver had offered me a spot on the Queen's Gambit, but I had just gotten in the Police Academy and I couldn't ditch now. "But, hey, I'm sure you'll have your hands full with Sara."

Oliver huffed at the look I gave him, my arms crossed and an eyebrow raised. He knew I disapproved of him and Sara, especially since he was in a committed relationship with the girls sister. But, no matter how many times I tried to convince him to come clean, or at the very least pick one - it didn't work.

"I love her, Harley."

"Sara or Laurel?" I specified, but he didn't grace me with a response, causing me to roll my eyes.

"Come on," he took my crossed arms in his hands, ducking his head as he forced me to look into his eyes and I knew I lost this battle. Because, I knew I could never stay mad at this boy with all his stupid, Queen charm. "I don't want to spend our last day together fighting. I promise, as soon as I get back I will sit down and sort all this out - make a choice. You've got my word."