14 || The Hard Truth ❗️

•••

•••

I had to work fast, in less then 12 hours Peter Declan would be dead unless Jason Brodeur handed over a signed confession. That's exactly where the man in the hood was headed while I went to go check in with Laurel again. I hadn't lost hope, I just needed to make sure Laurel and Peter didn't either. "We still have a shot," I told Laurel as we headed down the cell block to where Peter was with the escort. "The Hood, he's working on something."

"Oh, yeah, that's very reassuring." She rolled her eyes.

I huffed, lowering my voice so the security guard leading us to the interrogation room couldn't hear me. "Look, I know you don't trust him, I don't expect you to. But, could you just trust me - trust that I know what I'm doing."

Laurel sighed heavily, glancing over at me like she was trying to make sure I knew what I was saying. I smiled reassuringly at her and that seemed to send her over the edge. "Fine. I trust you."

The security guard led us into the room and glanced around the empty, cement room. Laurel took the open seat across from Peter Declan, filling him in on what was going on while I stood behind the lawyer, watching him carefully.

Peter rolled his eyes, and I could see it, he'd lost hope, he saw himself as a dead man. "I told you, Jason Brodeur is powerful. I've been here before. These lawyers holding out these little nuggets of hope."

Before either Laurel or I could respond to his negative thoughts an alarm ripped through the air and the light above us flicked off, instead one of the small emergency lights on the wall turned on to light up the room. I stiffened, immediately drawing my gun out and keeping it aimed at the ground.

"The warden's setting up a secure perimeter in "C" block," The security guard informed us as he hurried out the door. "Stay here."

"Wait!" I called after him, hurrying out the door and looking up and down the hall. "Come on," I took off, not waiting for a response, I knew they'd follow. I turned down another hall and ran as fast as I could only to be met with a dead end. Two prisoners had gotten loose and were beating one of the security guards senseless.

"There's Merlyn." He held a gun to my face. I quickly hooked my arm around his and spun, bringing my elbow back into his nose and grabbing the gun from his hand. The second man made for me, but before he could make his move an arrow landed itself in his chest.

My eyes widened and I spun around to see him, but rather in a police uniform instead of his usual hood, "Let's go." I didn't have to be told twice. He took my hand in his and pulled me along as he raced down the halls, Peter Declan and Laurel Lance just behind us.

A gasp left my lips as a big burly man came out of hiding and clocked the man across the face, sending him to the ground and then he turned for me. He smiled wickedly and my eyes widened. He grabbed for me and I let a bullet loose into his shoulder, causing him to stumble back. I could see the fire burning in his eyes as he threw out his arm and knocked my gun clear across the room. My heart raced with adrenaline as he grabbed for my arm; instead, I grabbed his wrist and twisted it to the side, bringing my knee up into his gut.