36 || Thea's Hearing 🏛

It was so surreal to me; being on a date with Oliver Queen

It was so surreal to me; being on a date with Oliver Queen. If you had told me four months ago this is where I'd be now, I'd have laughed in your face. We had gone to the little Sushi place like I'd wanted as I was currently reading over the menu. My eyes flicked up to look over the top of my menu at Oliver, only to fall right back down when I saw him already looking at me.

"Everything looks so good." I said at the same Oliver spoke up. I looked up at him with a sheepish smile, "Sorry."

"You first," Oliver gestured to me and I pressed my lips into a thin line.

"How about the Temaki?" I slowly looked up when he didn't answer, he had an odd smile on his face.

"I didn't know you liked Temaki."

"Is that bad?"I chuckled awkwardly. "Do you not like Temaki?"

"Love it. Just taking notes... mental notes." He mumbled the last part, turning his attention back down to his menu.

"For what? Our second date?" I teased, rolling my eyes jokingly.

"I was thinking more like a... five year anniversary." I slowly looked up at him, at that. He had this charming smile on his lips and I narrowed my eyes slightly, biting my lip to hold back a smile. Smooth, Queen.

A knock on my office door caught my attention and I jerked out of my own thoughts to see Oliver Queen leaning in my doorway. I perked up immediately and tossed the file I was looking through onto my desk. "Hey... how's Thea?"

"She's holding up." He came into the room slowly, stopping on the other side of my desk.

"I wanted to come to the hearing but I got slammed at work and-"

"It's fine, really." He cut me off, giving me a sincere smile.

I sighed in relief, I really tried to see if I could come in later and then stay later to make up for the hours but the Captain wasn't having it. "So, what brings you to this part of the station?"

"I was coming to see the Vice Cop... I didn't know McKenna got into law enforcement..." he tossed me a look that told me how odd he thought it was, I though it was odd at first considering the type of girl she was growing up.

"Yeah, she just joined the force maybe three years ago." I told him, remembering when she joined - I had just been promoted to Sargent. "What'd you need with a vice cop?"

"Vertigo," he told me and my face flushed at the realization. "The judge is trying to make an example of Thea, so I was thinking maybe if she could find the person selling the drugs it'd take some of the edge off Thea."

I scoffed in disbelief, "Yeah, it would, but that's easier said than done."

"That's what she said..." he muttered, tapping his fingers on the edge of my desk. "But, yesterday I did some digging and I came up with a name; The Count."

"Yeah, I could've told you that." I leaned forward to pull open my filing drawer and slipped out the, sadly, small folder. "We've known about the Count for months. This is all we have on him." I handed it to him and Oliver took it and flipped through the scarce files quickly.

"Do you mind if I keep this?" He asked, holding it up.

"Knock yourself out. I wish I could catch him before your sisters trial but that case ran cold a long time ago... maybe the Hood will have better luck." I smiled tightly, shrugging.

Oliver nodded, tucking the file into his suit pocket, "maybe..."

I bit my lip nervously, the tension in the room killing me. I slowly got up out of my seat and moved around to the front of my desk where Oliver was standing. "Oliver... are we good, you know, after last night."

Oliver's eyes flickered across my whole face like he wanted to say something, but he couldn't. Instead, he smiled, touching my arm affectionately, "Yeah, we're good."

I sighed, watching him go. I wanted to call out to him, but I didn't know what I'd say to make any of this better. So, I let him walk away and instead turned back to my desk to tidy things up. I only had an hour left and I figured I'd go turn in some paperwork and check into a couple of things with the other officers before leaving.

"What did Queen want?" The new voice startled me, and I whipped around to see Detective Lance in my doorway, sipping some Coffee.

I rested a hand against my chest, smirking slightly, "Quentin, you seem surprised that Oliver came to see me."

He rolled his eyes at my antics, "no, that boy follows you around like a lost puppy. I wanted to know what he wanted." His eyes were narrowed like he was trying to figure something out - like I was hiding something and he was waiting for me to slip.

I smiled easily, "Thea's in a jam, he came to talk to his friend for support..." I scooped up my file of paperwork for the day and turned to head to the captain's Office, only to stop when I noticed Detective Lance still standing there. I quirked an eyebrow, "anything else, Detective?"

"No."

I eyed him oddly as he stepped out of the way to let me leave and I made a point of shutting my door fully - you could only get in with a key card which only me, the Captain, and some of the cleaning personnel had. I glanced over my shoulder at Quentin one last time as I continued down the hallway - when was he going to let this thing with Oliver go?