37 || Hey, There Juliet 🌠

"Sometimes I wish we could start over," I said quietly as Oliver led me up to my doorway after driving me home on the back of his Motorcycle

"Sometimes I wish we could start over," I said quietly as Oliver led me up to my doorway after driving me home on the back of his Motorcycle. I was still holding his hand from when he helped me off the bike, leaning into his arm slightly as we made our way up the steps.

Oliver stopped at the door to look down at me, "What do you mean?"

"I don't know..." I shrugged, slipping my fingers from his to tuck my loose hair behind my ear. "Sometimes I just wish we could be two strangers meeting for the first time instead of best friends for 20 something odd years... maybe things would be different."

"Maybe..." He agreed. "But, I don't think I'd ever want to not know you."

I smiled slightly at that, finally opening the big double doors at the front of my house only to pause in the doorway when I saw Oliver wasn't following. "Are you going to come in?"

"No, see that's something I would do any other time we've gone out to dinner." He leaned forward slightly, his eyes scanning the inside of the foyer before landing on my face. Despite me being a step up higher, he was still taller than me. "We're trying to make this feel different."

I mouthed an 'ah' mockingly, nodding along, "Right, right." I stepped back out of the house, closing the door softly behind me.

Oliver's lips quirked in amusement, "You know what else I wouldn't normally do in a situation like this?"

"What's that?"

"Kiss you goodnight."

I narrowed my eyes at that, but could still feel my lips twitch slightly at the line. I licked my lips, looking around behind me to make sure my Dad wasn't lurking in the shadows - he's done it before. Finally, my eyes found Oliver and I could see the question in his eyes - like he was waiting for my answer. Instead of saying anything, I simply took his collar lightly in my hand and tugged him closer to connect our lips in a soft kiss.

Just as I started to pull away, Oliver brought his hands up to capture my face and bring my lips back to his in a more daring kiss. I gasped into the touch I'd never felt before, startled, my hands falling from his collar down to his chest. I sunk into the kiss, maybe this is what I needed - to jump in head first and everything else would come later.

One of his hands moved up into my hair while the other dropped down to my waist as he deepened the kiss. I gasped softly when I felt my back press into the door, causing me to break the kiss and look up into his swirling blue eyes. I bit my lip, feeling my eyebrows furrow as my eyes darted between his trying to feel something. Maybe a flutter in my stomach because of how close he was, or maybe a stutter in my heart cause of the way he looked at me now.

"This didn't change anything for you, did it?" Oliver asked, his voice soft as his eyes darted between mine.

I could feel my chest heave slightly from the semi make out session. "Oliver..." I began, but it seemed to be enough of an answer for him as he turned and started heading for his bike before I could say anything. "Oliver," I hurried after him, catching his arm and forcing him to look at me. "I didn't ask you out thinking I'd fall madly in love with you by the end of the night."

He kept his face neutral, "then why did you do it."

"To give it a try." He shook his head silently, reaching up a hand to run over his mouth. "Oliver, I want this to work, I really do but I can't just make feelings appear."

"And I can't just make mine go away," he countered and I dropped my gaze to the ground, guiltily. "So, just do me a favor and forget about them. Stop trying."

"Oliver..." I sighed out, but he ignored me and mounted his bike - hooking his helmet over his head. I took a slight step back, watching him pull out of my driveway and drive off.

I came up into my bedroom after dinner with my Dad, tugging my hair out of the tight ponytail and letting it all fall loose. A tapping on my balcony window startled me, and I jerked my head up with wide eyes. I immediately relaxed when I saw it was Oliver as he slowly pushed open my balcony door and slid it closed.

I crossed my arms, "are you ever going to use my front door?"

"No, this is more fun."

I smirked, using his shoulder for support as I slipped off my heels and tossed them under my foot stool before sinking down into one of the chairs in the corner of my room. "So, how's your hunt on the Count going?"

"I got an in," he admitted as he took the open seat across from me. I gave him a curious look, "We have a meeting later tonight. But, that's not what I came to talk about."

I frowned slightly, "what did you come to talk about then?"

"Thea." I let out a slight breath of relief at that - I don't know if I was ready to have the same conversation with him from the night of our date, again. "Laurel got her this amazing deal with the judge, but she's not taking it."

"What's the deal?" I knew the judge was originally being a hard ass and using Thea as an example in court.

"500 hours of community service and two years of probation. And the court also appointed Laurel to assume responsibility for her community service. But, she turned it down."

I shrugged at that, "maybe it's awkward for her... I mean, she is your ex-girlfriend."

"It's not that..." he sighed, running a hand over his mouth. "She's got this vendetta against Mom - she's got it in her head she's having an affair with your Dad."

I startled at that, letting out a short, incredulous laugh, "Wait, what?" Moira and my Dad?

Oliver gave me a look that said he pretty much felt the same way. "Yeah, apparently she thinks it started all the way to when my Dad was still around."

"Does your Mom know about this," I leaned forward, folding my arms in front of me on the table. "What'd she say."

"That it's the other way around..." he admitted. "That my Dad was unfaithful to her, but she doesn't want me to tell Thea."

I felt my eyebrows furrowed, "That's not really fair to you. That's a big secret to keep from your sister." I shifted in my seat, almost mad for him - how could she put him in the middle of something like, even if he was older than Thea.

"Maybe she's right," he muttered and I shook my head. "Thea doesn't need the memory of her father ruined."

I reached across the table to rest my hand over his, and ducking my head to get him to meet my eyes, "If someone doesn't tell her Oliver, her relationship with her Mom will be ruined... her life will be ruined."